Hosting Service...

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

twebster
Site Admin

Hosting Service...

Post by twebster »

Geetings to all,

As many of you are aware, our web hosting service has become a bit unreliable the last few weeks. I've already performed one server change, now another server change has been performed, but not by me. Posts of the last few days have not been transfered. I have requested our hosting service to restore those files but I am not confident this will be done.

At this time our hosting service is "on notice". I have been assured that this move will be the last needed. I apologize to all of you for the inconvenience. We haved stayed with this hosting service from the beginning because this service offers far more than other hosting services in the same price range. I am hoping we will not have to move again.

It is my intention to provide a websaite and forum that is properly accessible to our members. I am not adverse to moving to a whole new hosting service if necessary. Please, send me any comments or concerns you may have and this will help me make decisions regarding our future josting service.

Thank you, to you all :D
Last edited by twebster on Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

It's not a big deal, but I assume it's connected to the changes you mentioned--I noticed over the weekend, that when I go to "photomacrography.net" instead of going to the entry page with six circles containing images, as I always had, I go to the actual photomacrography.net page, with the current featured image (Sue's collared lizard). This isn't a big deal at all. A slightly bigger deal (but still not a big one) is that at the same time, the site stopped accepting my cookie with name and password as logging me in automatically. On the forum pages at upper right where I used to get "you have non new messages" (or one message or whatever) I now get a line saying "log in to check your private messages". But when I click on that line, I am magically logged in! Also, until I do this the little yellow flags showing new messages in a forum don't show up.

This is intended as informational, not a complaint. Going to the actual photomacrography.net page is just fine, and having to click once to log in is at worst a minor nuisance. I'm posting it here for Tom's information, and also to make sure I'm not the only one who sees the change. I use Mozilla as my web browser, otherwise my system is a quite ordinary Windows 2000 system.

Tom, thanks for the work you do here. What you and Danny and Mike (who I don't think I've ever seen here!) put together is a very good thing!
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

MikeBinOKlahoma

It's not a big deal, but I assume it's connected to the changes you mentioned--I noticed over the weekend, that when I go to "photomacrography.net" instead of going to the entry page with six circles containing images, as I always had, I go to the actual photomacrography.net page, with the current featured image (Sue's collared lizard). This isn't a big deal at all. A slightly bigger deal (but still not a big one) is that at the same time, the site stopped accepting my cookie with name and password as logging me in automatically. On the forum pages at upper right where I used to get "you have non new messages" (or one message or whatever) I now get a line saying "log in to check your private messages". But when I click on that line, I am magically logged in! Also, until I do this the little yellow flags showing new messages in a forum don't show up.

This is intended as informational, not a complaint. Going to the actual photomacrography.net page is just fine, and having to click once to log in is at worst a minor nuisance. I'm posting it here for Tom's information, and also to make sure I'm not the only one who sees the change. I use Mozilla as my web browser, otherwise my system is a quite ordinary Windows 2000 system.

Tom, thanks for the work you do here. What you and Danny and Mike (who I don't think I've ever seen here!) put together is a very good thing!
Mike Broderick

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Well, I made it on. For awhile I could get into the forums, but could not view any post. I would get a page not found error. When I tried to pm, I received this debugging code, but all seems to be fine now.

Thanks Tom, Danny and Mike for all your work on this site. I know you do not get paid for your efforts and it is out of the goodness of your hearts that you give us a forum to interact and that is much appreciated.
Last edited by S. Alden on Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

When I went to submit the above post, I received that debug thing again, but it did post so I do not know why I get that page of code.

Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to mail.photomacrography.net:25 in /home/photomac/public_html/forum/includes/smtp.php on line 109

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/photomac/public_html/forum/includes/smtp.php:109) in /home/photomac/public_html/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 474

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/photomac/public_html/forum/includes/smtp.php:109) in /home/photomac/public_html/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 476

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/photomac/public_html/forum/includes/smtp.php:109) in /home/photomac/public_html/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 477
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

MikeBinOKlahoma

That happened to me also--I resubmitted without seeing whether the message had posted, which is why I posted in stereo earlier on....
Mike Broderick

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Tom... FWIW... as of 6pm (PST) I can read and post messages, but still can't use image hosting to upload an image.

paul

Post by paul »

Earlier today I emailed a response to Tom's email message, thinking that I might not get through to the forum. Seeing that it actually is possible, I think it is only appropriate to put my vote of thanks on record:

Hi Tom,

this must be a very frustrating time for you (indeed for the
entire community, but you are landed with tons of extra work).
Let me assure you, your efforts are appreciated, thanks a lot
for all the time that you invest in this project.

Greetings and best wishes,

Paul
paul h

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Ditto to Pauls comment Tom. Thanks a million and then some for your hard work. When the Forums are down so am I. I live here for the most part. The Forums are the first thing I log on to in the morning and the last to log off of at night before turning in. Don't know what I would do without them or all the work put in by you, Danny, and Mike to make it all possible and of course my fellow members of both Macro and Microphotography. To sum it all up...I JUST LOVE THIS WEB SITE! :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Greetings to all :D

We appear to be fully functional again. The Image hosting is back online now. Good grief :!: :shock: What an ordeal :!: Thank you to all for having stuck with us through this difficult time. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the service becomes stable again. :?

Best regards to all as always. (I'm going to bed now :!: :D )
Tom Webster
Administrator

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Whew, thanks again M8t for what you do. When the time comes we will certainly look around :wink: thats for real.

All the best Tom and thanks as always :D , BTW, you have a 15yr old fan :D , a huge thanks.

Danny.

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi y'all :D

You're welcome, my friends. Danny, I thought that "bug" card would tickle Rachel's fancy! :D

Best to you all, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Hi Tom, well the Image Hosting was't working when I went to bed last night but its fine this morning. I was however a bit surprised to see an advertisment on the Image Hosting page - blue background, pink script "SPADS world of Perl" whatever that is? I would like to add my thanks for all the work you have been doing - it must stretch your patience at times. Well done Tom.
Kenv
Ken

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Ken,

Life sometimes test my patience :!: :D But it's not a big deal. :D That "Spad's" ad has always been there. This is a program I purchased and I have to leave the reference to the author. Again, no big deal. :D

Best regards, my friend :D
Tom Webster
Administrator