"The Natural World of Bugs & Insects"--Awesome

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

MikeBinOKlahoma

"The Natural World of Bugs & Insects"--Awesome

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

I've spent a few days going through a book I purchased called "The Natural World of Bugs and Insects". The authors are Ken and Rod Preston-Mafham. They are two brothers, who appear to be avidly into insect photography. In particular, Ken appears to have worked full-time at insect photography for 22 years <!>. They've assembled a massive collection of insect photographs in this book.

The book is huge, over 500 pages of insect photographs on very large pages. The text is not extensive, almost all the pages are devoted to the photographs.

The photographs almost make me want to put my camera away, frankly. There are so many shots of every conceivable insect and activity, and they are all so good! Fascinating to leaf through.

Only negative thing I can say about the book is that it's not terribly well-organized as a reference work. It's divided into sections by habitat, which is fine, but eachsection discusses insects found in that type of habitat all over the world, in rather generic terms. Unfortunately there's not a lot of description of what's going on in each photo. There is an index by species name in the back.

I saw a sealed copy of this in a bookstore, and it looked good, but I wasn't able to pick it up at the time. It's gone out of print since then, but I picked up a new copy from a used book reseller on Amazon.com for about $10 including postage (much less than I'd have paid if I got it in the bookstore). It was well worth it.

The ISBN is 1/85648-63-5. Here is a link to the Amazon/US listing:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846

I recommend it for anyone who enjoys viewing the photos here.
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

I'm looking into it thanks Mike :wink: