A couple of rain forest "friends" from last week

Danny, Michael, and I (Tom) couldn't be happier and more impressed with our members and friends! It would be wonderful if we all got to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself. We are looking forward to meeting you all!

Moderators: nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

A couple of rain forest "friends" from last week

Post by Charles Krebs »

In the late fall and over much of the winter, bald eagles will move into the river valleys to feed on the spawned out salmon. They spend most of the day either perched in the alders along the river, or soaring effortlessly high above it . The Roosevelt elk are very common in the Olympic rain forests as well. It''s amazing how a large herd of elk can quickly disappear from sight in the dense foilage. Ocassionally (as on my trip last week) I've been fortunate enough to be photographing elk while they "communicate" with each other, at the same time bald eagles are flying overhead giving out their distinctive "chatter", all accompanied by the background sounds of the river and streams. I have to smile to myself and think how it seems like an old corny Walt Disney movie.... but it's not.... it's quite real, and I feel very blessed to have the experience.

Steve West

Post by Steve West »

Hi Charlie,

Seems your photographic adeptness extends far beyond the microscope! Excellent images. You get a lot our of your 10D.

Elk certainly are majestic aminals. A herd can go by closely single file and never give you a clue that 30 animals passed nearby.

Most years, I hunt Elk, and watching them is a real treat (not to mention how good they taste...

The composition of the Eagle shot is just great. What's your telephoto length?

Steve

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Both of these photographs are just great. I would have to say the eagle is my favorite. We have eagles here in WNC but they are rarely seen, at least by me. WNC has some very beautiful places also here in these mountains. Unfortrunately they are fading away due to developers marring our landscape with mountain get aways and condos. When I was a young boy I remember being able to look out across these mountains and not see a house or building one. Now every where I look there is something on our mountains that should not be there. :x

You live in a very beautiful part of our country Charlie, thank you for sharing it with us. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.