New Member from London UK

Danny, Michael, and I (Tom) couldn't be happier and more impressed with our members and friends! It would be wonderful if we all got to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself. We are looking forward to meeting you all!

Moderators: nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

cassian

New Member from London UK

Post by cassian »

Hello,

I would like to say hello to everyone here as I have just registered.

I am a marine ecology PhD student from London and am about to delve into the fascinatingly small-but-wonderful world of photomicroscopy. I have recently finished sorting 120 coral reef sediment samples - totalling 106,561 organisms within the 'meiofaunal' size range: 500um to 63um - organisms which dwell within the interstices of aquatic sediments.. Nematodes, copepods, turbellarians, polychaetes and the like... the samples have taken a long time to sort ;)

I found this site while researching CCTV attachments. I have at my mercy a Zeiss compound Photomicroscope III which I want to adapt to take a digital CCTV camera for display and capture on a PC computer. I also have use of a Nikon SMZ 1000 stereo microscope, with an attachment for (so far) a Nikon CoolPix 800 digital stills camera...

Anyway I am very much looking forward to getting involved, learning a few things, and giving back what I can. From what I have seen already there are a lot of people willing to share knowledge here and I hope that in time I may become one of them.

All the best,

Cassian

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Welcome aboard, Cassian :D

You've just joined the nicest bunch of people on the Internet. Yes, we do share freely what we know and what we discover. Sounds to me like you'll fit right in. I have adapted a webcam for shooting movies of "micro-critters" but am interested, too, in adapting a cctv camera over the next few months. I am not an electronics genius so I've actually been thinking of adapting a digital camcorder for making movies. I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with.

Holy cow :!: ...106,561 organisms! I won't live long enough to count that high :!: I think I'll stick with my aquarium organisms. :D Anyhow, glad that you have joined us, Cassian. I, for one, will look forward to your posts. :D

Best regards, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Welcome, Cassian. Nice to hear from someone not so far from me - I live in Horsham, but work in London.

- looking forward to seeing some of the menagerie you describe...
Graham

piotr

Post by piotr »

Welcome, Cassian!

Sounds like really exciting project! Good luck and we hope to see the pictures soon!
Piotr

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Welcome to the forum Cassian, it will be good to share in what you are doing.
Kenv
Ken

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

A big ol' HOWDIE from Western North Carolina and Welcome to the forums. Come on in and pull up a chair. Looking forward to seeing some of your work. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Hi Cassian and welcome to the forums. This is a great place to learn with a lot of great individuals to learn from, both in the MACRO and MICRO forums. Looking forward to viewing your images.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

cassian

What a wonderful welcome!

Post by cassian »

What a wonderful welcome! Wow - you lot are a freidnly bunch! I can see myself hanging out here on a regular basis :)

As far as microscopy goes, I have only taken a few pictures with the Nikon SMZ scope and the Coolpix 800, and to be honest they didn't come out that well. I found that for most of my pictures I couldn't get the focus quite right. However it is my plan to have another go and get to grips with it this time. No doubt I will probably find that many of my questions will be answered once I start reading through the back-log of pages already on this site.

As for the Zeiss - well it's an old microscope but worth it's weight in gold. Although it was built for film use, something I have not used it for, I plan to take it into the digital age...and of course once I start I would love to post some pictures here as I doubt I will get it right first time - I may just need a little advise here and there... :roll: So be gentle with me!!!

Anyway - as I trial I have attempted to upload one of my favourite macro pictures. It doesn't compare to some of the great shots I have already seen here, but it is a picture I am proud of nevertheless. It was taken with my Coolpix 800. May this be the start of more images to come!

Cassian

Last edited by cassian on Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

cassian, I just started in Micro, an outlet for the winter when I cannot find good subjects for Macro. I am also having a hard time with focusing, and bringing the image out as I am use to seeing in my Macro images. I do not think that will happen, at least not in the same way. I use the Zeiss and the Canon G5. I shoot the eyepiece since I do not have a photo tube.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Here you are Cassian. I hope that you did not mind me taking the liberty of giving it a go. Your tags probably were turned off. On the settings below my post reply there is only one check mark and that is on Attach signature. The other boxes are empty of checks. BTW a very good image you have here. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

cassian

Post by cassian »

Sue - I wish I could help you but I honestly don't know where to start.. however just make sure you have keep trying all available options and I am sure that you will soon get to the core of your problem and solve it with great effect.

Ken - it seems that my picture has now come up. I enabled "Always allow BBCode:" in my Preferences so may be this was the cause. It didn't show straight a way I might add.

Many thanks anyway..for your help and the compliment.

Cass

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Hey that's great Cass, no problem. Tom can get rid of the one I got to post for you. Looking forward to some more of your photographs. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Cassian... I would like to join the others in saying Welcome Aboard!

Look forward to seeing more of your pictures and posts.

cassian

Intro

Post by cassian »

Thanks Charles! I sure am looking forward to getting my sytem up and running. However I don;t quite know the best way to go about things for my budget. Going to head on over to the Technical Discussion forum to see if any of the good ole' folks on this forum can give me a few pointers :wink: !!

All the best,

Cassian