Could Be Spirostomum

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Could Be Spirostomum

Post by Ken Ramos »

It took hours to capture what little I have here. It resembles Spirostomum but the anterior portion does not resemble anything like I have seen of Spirostomum. I am quite unsure of what this is. The PIS and Jahns were of no help. :?

Zeiss Axiostar, Canon G5
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Hi Ken, you did good to get this I think. My Patterson ID's it as Homalozoon. I did a search for this on the internet and found the same thing as Homalozoon Vermiculare http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/PDB/Galler ... datum.html
Hope I've helped.
Kenv
Ken

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know I looked there Ken and evidently missed it. But it looks as though you have hit it on the head. That is it. Thanks :D :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

piotr

Post by piotr »

Very cool find, Ken! And very nice images!
Piotr

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Ken... excellent pictures... love seeing unusual creatures I've never seen before.
That KenV is getting pretty sharp with those ID's lately :wink:

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks for the comments guys and to you Ken for the ID. I wanted to capture the macro nucleus or nuclei with better detail but the thing kept folding and sliding out of view and focus. The nuclei look similar to what is seen in Stentors. :)
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy