Diatom strew slide - sample from Bosphorus

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

gpmatthews

Diatom strew slide - sample from Bosphorus

Post by gpmatthews »

Zeiss GFL microscope
Objective: Zeiss x40 PH2
Ocular: Watson x8 compensating
Phase contrast
Camera: Canon Powershot S50
ISO200, F4.9, 1/13 sec

These diatoms are all from the same slide, although it is a slight cheat in that the two ovoid forms have been pasted in to make a collage. This is quite a busy slide from Flatters and Garnet ~1955, mounted in styrax. I have the catalogue and the price is listed at 2 shillings. As you can see there is quite a selection of forms.
Graham

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Great collage Graham, good work.
Kenv
Ken

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Graham... this is wonderfully life-like. Looks like you could reach into the screen and touch them. Nice work!

Do you think that styrax does "special" things to these diatoms? The clarity in the diatoms slides mounted in styrax seems exceptional. Maybe it has something to do with it's index of refraction.

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Charlie - I have a lot of styrax slides of the same vintage. Some have discoloured, but the good ones are of good viewing quality. Even so, I think Frez' Zrax nounted specimens are better.
Graham

Steve West

Post by Steve West »

Beautiful image Graham! The gray phase background really makes it look nice. Kind of like a rainbow against a dark grey stormy sky.

Steve