Trachelomonas, a look at what is inside the lorica

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

Trachelomonas, a look at what is inside the lorica

Post by Charles Krebs »

In the above photo you can see that the lorica has cracked under the pressure from the coverglass. Inside is the euglena. The inset shows a Trachelomonas as it would normally appear (this is not the same specimen as the large photo). Large photo taken with Nikon 40X phase contrast

Above is another species of Trachelomonas. The lorica on this one has spiney ornamentation. (100X, brightfield)

lacerta

Post by lacerta »

The clarity and luminosity are incredible ! The first picture is unreal, almost like a Christmas tree ornament. As always Charles, I find your work very inspirational, and a high standard to aspire toward.
George

piotr

Post by piotr »

Charlie, these are incredible pictures. Really amazing.

I think I have seen sometimes a thing resembling an empty lorica of Trachelomonas. Interesting - this euglenoid can leave its house. I wonder if it can rebuild it again.
Piotr

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

You continue to amaze me Charlie, this is a terrific image. It really emphasises the length of the flagellum. As George said it does looks like a broken Xmas tree ornament.
Kenv
Ken