Paramecium - staining experiment

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

piotr

Paramecium - staining experiment

Post by piotr »

This is Paramecium stained with nigrosin. A little drop of a concentrated solution of nigrosin is added to a drop of Paramecium culture placed on a slide. The slide is left until the drop dries. Details of pellicle, cillia and cytostome can be demostrated this way. Nigrosin can be replaced with black ink (I haven't tested it, though). I've got the stain from Cynmar last year.

25x/N.A.0.65 objective, 2x Optovar setting, Sony DSC-V1
Piotr

discomorphella

Post by discomorphella »

Piotr--This is a great shot. I especially like how it looks like a low-power EM shot. You might want to try one of the simpler silver protein staining techniques too (you can use silver nitrate / gelatin and sunlight), there are some that aren't that difficult to do, if you want a more transparent preparations (especially background) than the nigrosin.

--David

piotr

Post by piotr »

David, thank you. Yes, I will try the silver staining method - definitely.
Piotr

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Dear Piotr,

That is very good! Nice colours and the pattern of the arrangement of the cilia is very nice. I hope you succeed in finding a good camera set up but with the digital camera you can already make great images!

Wim

piotr

Post by piotr »

Wim, thank you very much! I'm about to try a film camera and compare results.
Piotr