More Dinosaur Bone

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Frez

More Dinosaur Bone

Post by Frez »

The M or NCG, (no cover glass), objectives worked well. The issue is that it seems these slides are prepared with incident illumination in mind as the mountant used crackles when set. Still it was interesting. The Stromatolite turned out to be pretty boring revealing nothing more than a matrix of pebbles that made up the mud. It was better under the stereo mic.

The Dino bone was fun. Transmitted light revealed good structure. By pointing a fiber optic light pipe at the bone's surface I was able to get a pretty good image up to 200x at .4 NA. There were abberations from the untreated, raw light source, but comparing the two lighting methods was cool. The first image is with transmitted light and the second with direct incident.

I also studied a section of Dinosaur coprolite. A coprolite is fossilized Dino poop. One is supposed to be able to tell if the Dino was carnivorous of herbivorous based on the content of the poop. After valiantly studying the doodoo at powers up to 500x, nothing identifiable came to light. It did feel odd looking at feces from millions of years ago. I'll never be able empty the cat's litter box with a straight face now.

Nikon scope
Olympus DP10 camera

Thanks
Frez