:: View topic - This is the bee's knees! (really)
 Forum Index
An online community devoted to the practices of photomacrography and amateur microscopy..

New! Photomacrography2.net

This site is no longer available for posting or registering new members.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     UsergroupsUsergroups   
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
This is the bee's knees! (really)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope Gallery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: This is the bee's knees! (really) Reply with quote

Don't have a clue where the old "bee's knees" expression came from, but this picture illustrates a real one.

The specialization of insect legs is a great subject for photomicrography. Like the water boatman, the honeybee's legs are highly specialized. Here you can see the pollen combs which collect pollen from the middle legs and abdomen. The stiff bristles ("pecten" or "rake") at the bottom of the tibia collects the pollen from the pollen combs on the opposite side of the body. The pollen is collected into the space above the "anvil-like" auricle. When the bee bends it's leg back and forth (during flight) the pollen is crushed in this "pollen press" and packed into the pollen basket (located on the opposite side of the tibia from this view).

Nikon 3X (large photo), 2.5X photoeyepiece. Canon 10D. Fiber optic illumination.
Wim van Egmond

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful! With a couple of extra such shots of the bee you can make a modern school plate! Apart from its artistic values this is great educational material!

Wim
Frez

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding Charlie! I can't wait to see you image a spider. My first magnified spider made me shiver. BTW, what was the expression Bee's Knees used in context with? I've never heard it.

Thanks!
Frez
nephiliim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is some great educational stuff charles, just like Wim said.
In my school we put some samples of forest soil under a microscope, most of the girls ran away screeming when they saw the huge mandibles of a beetle Laughing But we only have normal lighting for the microscopes at our school. So you lose a lot of detail, in color anyway.

I have permission to use our school microscopes for private purpose in my spare time. Maybe I can even borrow our schools camera, also an olympus, an take some shots.

Comments and advice always welcome
My little website
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frez... "bee's knees" was used to refer to something exception, or "really cool". I think it dates back to the 1920's when there apparently were quite a few non-sensical expressions in the common lingo.

nephiliim.... careful, it can be addicting Wink
piotr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is "bee's knees" then, really (I found an explanation here). Spectacular picture!!!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope Gallery All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: