:: View topic - Yeah, they're a bit showy, but the reception is awesome!
 Forum Index
An online community devoted to the practices of photomacrography and amateur microscopy..

New! Photomacrography2.net

This site is no longer available for posting or registering new members.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     UsergroupsUsergroups   
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Yeah, they're a bit showy, but the reception is awesome!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope Gallery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Yeah, they're a bit showy, but the reception is awesome! Reply with quote

... I don't care if all the other bugs are staring... at least I don't have to pay those stupid cable bills every month! ... Rolling Eyes

I'm usually pretty good with insects, but I really don't know what this specimen is. They are very common here in the Pacific Northwest, about the size of a mosquito, and you can even find them in winter if there are a few "warm" days. Very weak flyers, but they obviously are well "tuned in" to something!

Top shot taken with Olympus 2X PlanF, bottom with Nikon 10X Plan. Lighting for both was "normal" darkfield. The very fine antenna elements caused a colorful diffraction of the light, more visible in the first image.
piotr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

Beautiful images! I like very much the iridescent effect on the antennae. I admire your seamless transitions between macro and micro.

Perhaps this could be a Chironomid insect (a non-biting midge)? Like this one?
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Piotr,
I agree. It is most likely a member of the family Chironomidae (non-biting midge) but that's about as far as I can take it. Thanks for link. I've book-marked it. (Another great thing about this forum is the collection of very helpful links that I have accumulated thanks to references like yours)
twebster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ya' Charlie Very Happy

Yup. 'Tis a chironomid fly. These guys are hard to idenstify down to genus and species. You gotta have a microscope Exclamation Shocked Very Happy Chironomids are pretty important to trout production. I've read some studies on some lakes in Idaho where chironomid flies can make up to 30% to 50% of a trout's diet. I've caught 10# trout in the Colorado River above Lee's Ferry that had gorged themselves on midges and midge pupae. Cool Exclamation Shocked

Best regards as always, my friend Very Happy

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!
Frez

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tremendous Charlie! I can't imagine having these on my head. Shocked They are so delicate and must relay so much information to the critter of the nature we can't begin to sense.

Well Well Done!
Frez
Wim van Egmond

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great image of a Chironomid, indeed a midge. I am pretty sure that you have encountered their larvae in pond water, Charly! I'll see if I can post one if I have time.

Try and see if you can find the male of a mosquito. They have very weird antennae too!

Wim
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope Gallery All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: