Euglena spirogyra, (in darkfield)

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

Euglena spirogyra, (in darkfield)

Post by Charles Krebs »

This is probably my favorite species of euglena (of the one's I 've seen). They move very slowly, and can get into some "graceful" looking "poses" if you stay with them. The pellicle has very pronounced spiral striae, which are displayed nicely in darkfield illumination. I stayed with this one quite a while, and on two instances I was able to get off three shots with no noticeable movement. These were combined to get depth-of-field, which is otherwise pitifully small with a 40X in darkfield.

Olympus 40X, 2.5 photo-eyepiece, Canon 10D, electronic flash. Zeiss darkfield condenser (oiled :? ).

piotr

Post by piotr »

Charlie, you continue to amaze us. The best image of Euglena I have ever seen. Simply incredible.
Piotr

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

This is a quite superb image Charlie. Well you've answered my question before it was asked - yesterday I had my first session on the scope for ages and I found quite a number of different euglenas including this one, I didn't know its name so thanks Charlie. I might post a shot later when everyone has forgotten just how good your one is :D
Cheers Kenv
Ken

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Charlie, That is truly a breathtaking image!

Wim