Stylonichia

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Mike

Stylonichia

Post by Mike »

Hello all,

This fellow decided to pause long enough for me to grab a few shots I then combined with HF 3.10 Pro.

He came out of one of the three 2 1/2 gallon aquaria I have set up recently. They seem to provide a more balanced habitat for the critters and in the 8 days since they have been going I see some nice diversity, although the vorticella seem to be doing better than the others.

The guppies I put in to control the larger predators seem to be doing fine without filtration or aeration, as the water level is relatively low (about 2 inches) giving a good ratio of surface area to volume to maximize dissolved oxygen.

Some minor adjustments to contrast and hue with Photoshop 9.0.

Leitz Plan 25/0.50 170/0.17
Orthoplan
Coolpix 4500
Flash

All the best,

Mike

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Hi Mike...

You did a good job here. Trying to to get several images of a live subject like this that will work in stacking software can be a really frustrating endeavor. The cirri on the posterior end are shown very nicely here, while the rest of the body is also in good focus... normally that's tough to do with a single exposure.

You need to post more images! :D

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Beautiful shot Mike, nice colors and detail :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Hi Mike, a beautiful job here. I'm amazed that you could get a critter to stay still enough to get in three shots like this, well done M8t.
Kenv
Ken

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Mike :D

I've been following the discussion about aquariums in the Yahoo! Microscopehobby Group. Or was it on the Yahoo! Microscope Group? I forget. There's something positive I would like to point out about filtering a tank. I would suggest filtering one of your tanks with an outside "power" type filter. The filter pads provide a different environment than the rest of the tank and will attract different "micro-critters". You could increase the diversity of one of your tanks simply by filtering the water. You could even create two different environments in a rectangular tank by dividing the tank in half with a glass divider. The power filter could aggressively filter one half of the tank while the other half receives less aeration. Just a thought. :D

Best regards as always, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

That's a good idea Tom. A lot of possiblities to be considered in creating different environments with only one tank. :)
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

lacerta

Post by lacerta »

I have yet to try HF on protozoans. They are challenging enough to just get a single good image. You did a great job. Love the way the cirri can now be distinctly seen.
George

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hello to all!

Thanks for the compliments - it has been tough getting things to start working together (mostly my fault, as I invariably change any number of things and introduce multiple variables!)

It was easy getting it to stand still, all I needed to do was chase it all over the slide for 1/2 hour, take a couple of shots only to have it move, than start over. At the end, it finally got tired of being in the spotlight, or I just got lucky.

Charlie - I'd love to post more shots, but there are two things that intervene: I don't have the talent you do, and I don't have the micro-livestock you do! Please keep posting those amazing shots of yours to egg the rest of us on.

Both Ken's - thanks, sometimes even a blind hog finds an acorn.

Tom - I hope your satisfied! I had to make a trip out today to buy a power filter, and now the other two aquaria look 'grungy'. Great idea actually, to have different environments. Maybe a chiller and some running water for the next one to replicate a mountain brook, complete with brookies, mayflies, caddis?

Helicon Focus is a wonder.

All the best,

Mike

piotr

Post by piotr »

Beautiful work, Mike. So many details visible in the picture.
Piotr

GreenLarry

Post by GreenLarry »

Wow, a lot of info in that image,very cool!