radiolaria slide

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Wim van Egmond

radiolaria slide

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Dear friends,

As a Mac user I still have to stack manually but I must say that in many cases you don't need many more than 2 or 3 images. Especially when you use lower magnification. This image was made from 2 images.

The last couple of years I spend some time making radiolaria slides. I thought I'd post one. In this case I made the colours a bit brighter than I usually do. I noticed that my images were sometimes a bit gloomy and that is strange because I am quite a cheerful person! :D

The image is D.I.C with a plastic filter to add colour, 10X neofluar ojective on a Zeiss standard. When you don't use plan objectives with D.I.C the background becomes uneven. It doesn't have to be a problem. My DIC set up is old and the contrast is not as high as in later versions. But I kind a like it because it is subtle.

But radiolaria are also great for oblique Rheinberg. You almost can't see the difference with DIC.

The radiolaria slide was made with gum tragacanth as an adhesive, a very thin layer on the coverslip.

Wim

piotr

Post by piotr »

Hi Wim,

Great effect! Beautiful artisitic picture. I remember your Micscape article on home-made DIC effect.

What tools do you use for moving and positioning the radiolaria? It seems like a lot of patience is required.
Piotr

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Hi Piotr,

I use a long hair (5 cm.) cut from a big brush. It is nice to make compostitions of radiolaria of a certain type. I mount them in canada balsam. The coverslip is supported by a ring made from thick black paper.

regards, Wim

GreenLarry

Post by GreenLarry »

I love these things, are they marine or freshwater?