Carpenter Ant face

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

Carpenter Ant face

Post by Charles Krebs »

Here's a pretty good look at the face of a carpenter ant. Although my favorite pond beckons, I'm still enthralled at what can be done with images stacks and software like Helicon Focus. This kind of image has eluded me for so many years... it's just fun to finally have the technology available to pull it off!

Olympus 2X Flourite, 2.5X photo-eyepiece, Canon 10D. Tungsten illumination via fiber optic illuminator and Charlie's secret ant diffuser apparatus. (OK... it's just a Fuji film container with the top cut off :wink: ). 33 images combined in using HF.

LBadrick

Post by LBadrick »

Amazing Charles. :D

Thank you very much for sending my imagination soaring and putting a smile on my face at the start of the day.

Regards,

Lee.

Dembowski

Post by Dembowski »

Stunning .... absolutely stunning!!
Bill Dembowski
"It's alive .... It's alive !!!!

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hello Charlie,

Yet another extraordinary image of an ordinary subject! Your work is inspiring.

Welcome back,
Mike
"Nil satis nisi optimum"

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Wonderful result, Charlie! There are so many interesting possibilities nowadays. What will the future bring?

The only difficulty with this technique is the fact that you have to have non motile subjects. But imagine a camera that takes all these stacks in one nanosecond and than immediately combine them to form a multifocal image!

Wim

piotr

Post by piotr »

Beautiful and scary! It looks like Darth Ant :-)
Piotr