haematococcus

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Wim van Egmond

haematococcus

Post by Wim van Egmond »

I took some of the red water from a dish on a friend's balcony because it would probably contain Haematococcus pluvialis. It did. This image shows 3 different stages, the swimming stage, divided cells and a vergatative cell.

The phase contrast on my microscope gives a blue background. In fact I prefer a more neutral tone.

Wim

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

These are great also Wim :D You need to educate me however, what is "red water?" I have never seen anything like these, interesting and a curiosity for me. :)
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Gyrosigma

Post by Gyrosigma »

Hello Wim,
In France the red water is cald "rain of blood" :)

My Phase contrast gives me a yellow red backgroud.... I prefer too a more neutral one... is there a way to correct this background color ???

best regards

Dominique

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Thank you!

In dutch it is called 'bloedrode regenalg' : blood red rain alga. This species can be found in bird baths and it is easy to see when they bloom and turn the water red!

You can change the colour by using colour correction filters. A cheap way is to go to your photostore and ask a sample set of Lee filters. It is a bundle with small strips. I am not sure if they are sold in your country but these plastic filters are used for theater lighting and for photography. You can put them in front of your light source. Cut a circle and put them in teh filter holder.

If you can find such a sample bundle you can try all kinds of colours. there are very lightly coloured correction filters. If your background is a bit yellow red you need to correct that with a blue filter.

But you are limited by the actual colour your phase set provides.

Wim

rene

Re: haematococcus

Post by rene »

Wim van Egmond wrote: The phase contrast on my microscope gives a blue background. In fact I prefer a more neutral tone.

Wim
Hi Wim, wonderful image! You can even see the threads that keep the cell 'hanging' in the casing, lorica or whatever you want to call it.

I quite like the metallic blue background, it reminds me a bit of the water environment it is in. I like it better then the second option of the soot-brown colour. Anyway, with my coolpix it is no problem to white-balance it.

Rene.

Gyrosigma

Post by Gyrosigma »

thank you Wim and Rene for your responses that's what I do but if you correct the back ground you correct the suject too, my question is there is an adjustment in the phase contrast condenser to correct only the back ground color ??? I suppose no but I whant to be sure...

best regards

Dominique

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

As the french ánd the dutch said very recently: NON! :D

The colour is fixed but in new phase contrast systems (Ron wrote about it) the ring in the systen is made of polarised material and with that I think the colour can be altered!

Wim

rene

Post by rene »

Wim van Egmond wrote:As the french ánd the dutch said very recently: NON! :D

The colour is fixed but in new phase contrast systems (Ron wrote about it) the ring in the systen is made of polarised material and with that I think the colour can be altered!

Wim
Just to explain where this colour is coming from: the phase ring in the objective changes the light optically, but ALSO the intensity. The phase rings used to be made with light-absorbing soot, which gives a muddy brown background colour, but some manufacturers make the rings by evaporating metals, giving a bluish background. So just a simple colour filter on the illuminator base can change the colour of the background.
My favourite filter for phase is the use of a dark blue filter with a yellow ring (annulus) in the condenser, instead of the traditional black plate with 'white' ring. It gives a bit of life to otherwise an otherwise principally black&white (or brown and white) phase image.

Rene.

piotr

Post by piotr »

Spectacular image, Wim! Sharp and clean.
Piotr

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Wim... Very interesting subject, and presented beautifully.

I'll have to collect and examine some of the "red snow" this summer when I go up into the mountains. It too is colored by an algae.

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

So it is possible to change the colour of phase but you have to make a new ring in the condensor. Thanks Rene!

That snow sounds interesting Charlie, but I am glad it is finally becoming a bit warm here :D

Wim