:: View topic - Floscularia ringens. Making "bricks" for tube.
 Forum Index
An online community devoted to the practices of photomacrography and amateur microscopy..

New! Photomacrography2.net

This site is no longer available for posting or registering new members.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     UsergroupsUsergroups   
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Floscularia ringens. Making "bricks" for tube.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope Gallery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Floscularia ringens. Making "bricks" for tube. Reply with quote

These rotifers make beautiful reddish-brown tubes for their "homes". (see http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1330)

When I first saw them I wondered where the nearly perfect spherical "bricks" came from. After watching for a while I saw the answer. At the back of the head is a socket where each spherical "brick" is rolled from detritus that is collected as the rotifer feeds. In the top image you get an overview of the location of this socket, as you can see another brick nearing completion. The lower photo shows an even closer view. The "ball" is constantly rotated around quite rapidly whenever the cilia on the corona are in motion. (In these photos the motion has been frozen by the electronic flash illumination.) As more detritus is added, the ball grows in size. When completed it is added to the tube. The right panel in the lower photo shows a detailed close-up of part of the constructed tube.

Top photo taken with 40X objective, bottom two with 100X. Canon 10D. Brightfield illumination with electronic flash,
Wim van Egmond

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A beautiful and very interesting series of images. I always thought that these rotifers made their tubes from excrements.

It is always worth while to look for behaviour like this.

Wim
micron

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie your pictures never fail to amaze me, but this blew me away!!!
piotr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

Stunning pictures. Consistency of size and shape of these "bricks" is amazing. What does the rotifer use to keep the bricks together, some kind of mucus perhaps?
Ken Ramos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your images never cease to amaze me Charile, especially when you do a series like this. They provide not only a learning experience as well but a great photographic display of the microcosom that captures our interests. Thanks Very Happy
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.
lacerta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles, your photography is rivaled only by your astute powers of observation. Thanks for sharing, and hopefully sharpening my own abilities to see outside the box, or "beyond the little brick balls". What an incredible series of images!
George
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope Gallery All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: