Diaptomus

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

gpmatthews

Diaptomus

Post by gpmatthews »

Zeiss GFL Microscope
Objective: Zeiss plan 1.6 - 5 x variable mag
Ocular: Watson x8 compensating
Brightfield flash
Camera Canon Powershot S50
Sample from Warnham Millpond, Horsham UK, 05 Jun 2005

I thought it was about time I escaped from domestic duties and did some real work!

The specimen was partly anaesthetised with lidocaine to quieten it down.
Graham

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Hey Graham :o Thought you had gone into "domestic purgatory" there for a while :lol: This is a fantastic image. Looks like a skinny Cyclops, any relation :?:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Non-Prophet

Post by Non-Prophet »

Hi all! I've only been playing with my scope for a couple of weeks. I'm pretty sure this is one of the things I was checking out last night. My cover glass squashed him and a whole bunch of small swimmers (don't know what they were) had gathered and were feeding off of his insides in a shark like frenzy. Nice pic!

piotr

Post by piotr »

Great capture, Graham, and razor-sharp!
Piotr

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Graham... nice detailed image. Yet another creature I had not seen or heard of until your post. Looks like the type that could treally move around without a bit of "relaxant".

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Very nice image of a spectacular beast!

Wim

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Charlie, they do indeed move fast - the worst part was catching one with a pipette in a jar of pondwater - in the end I took random samples and squirted each into a shallow dish, until I had caught one. I then drew off most of the water before transferring the specimen to an aquarium slide together with a drop of anaesthetic throat spray. If you use too much of this, Diaptomus curls up its antennae, and plays dead.

Ken, Diaptomus belongs to the Calanoida sub group of the Copepoda. Cyclops belongs to the Cyclopoida sub group. So they are related.
Graham

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Graham...
If you use too much of this, Diaptomus curls up its antennae, and plays dead.
Unfortunately whenever I try something like this the critters play dead for a very... very.... long time. I'm still waiting :cry: :wink: