pseudopodia on a diet

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Wim van Egmond

pseudopodia on a diet

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Different types of waters bear different types of microbes. Marshes don't just have Desmids, there are many other amazing microorganisms.

I first thought I hadn't cleaned my object glass good enough (and as you can see I didn't) but this is a living organism and this is its actual shape. With long filopods this Amoeba was slowly moving.

This odd type of Amoebacan be found between Sphagnum moss in acidic waters. I found the species name but I have my Amoeba booklet at home. I can post it tomorrow but I can also make it a quiz! :D

40X planapo. I also made a version with a blue background which is probably more beautiful but I like to use variation, not every time a blue background.

Wim

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Allow me to take a stab at it Wim. "Reticulomyxa filosa" or a similar genera "Penardia," which has a green endoplasm and feeds on algae. How's that? :D OBTW, a very excellent image :o
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

One strange and interesting amoeba. Looks like the window of my van after some of the local rowdy teens "egged" it one Halloween.:roll:
With long filopods this Amoeba was slowly moving.
I guess it would have to move very slow, just to make sure all the various parts were coming along! Amazing that this is one cell.

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

I think you are right there, Ken. My guess was Penardia mutabilis.

Charlie, I also first though that a waterflea had splashed an egg against my coverslip as a revenge for all her squashed relatives :D

I did not check its speed but I think it is less than 100 MpH. (that is micron per hour) :D

Wim