desmid zygospore

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Wim van Egmond

desmid zygospore

Post by Wim van Egmond »

I always look for life's stages. This is a subject I wanted to capture for a long time. It is a zygote (zygospore) of Micrasterias papillifera, a desmid. The empty cells (after conjugation) are still attached to the zygospore. I combined 3 images because I could not get everything in focus.

Wim

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Great images Wim :D , what are the projections extending outward from the zygospore?
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Thank you Ken!

Perhaps these projections are to annoy microscopists who want to make a good image because detritus does stick to these projections :D

Interesting question. It could be an aid to help spreading them from pond to pond. I suppose these zygospores can withstand harshconditions and be spread by the wind or get stuck in the feathers of waterbirds?

Wim

Gyrosigma

Post by Gyrosigma »

Hello Wim,
I search also a such zigote for a long time.... you have chance :)

One day I find some thing close to this form, I identified it as a zigote but I am unable to said from what it was a zigote :cry:

If you have an idea, I will be interested in yours... the image is here : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dominique.voisi ... oterie.htm

best regards

Dominique

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Dominique,

that is an interesting and beautiful image! Did you post it in the forum? It might be that others know what it is. It could also be a pollen or seed that has fallen in the water. Or an egg of a bryozoan?

Wim

rene

Re: desmid zygospore

Post by rene »

Brilliant again Wim, no doubt where this one exactly came from. Funny to see the desmid starting up building the cell wall just like with normal division.

So where did this originate from? Are you by any chance involved in the desmid biodiversity project in NL?

Rene.

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Dank je wel Rene!

I don't know about the desmid biodiversity project but I know most of the people who study Desmids here in the Netherlands. Are you involved in that project or know the people working on this? I am part of a dutch club of Desmid fans. http://www.desmids.nl

The semi cells you see in this image are the left overs and will eventually drop off.

This zygote is from the Wisselse Veen near Epe, so its a very religious Zygote! (sorry guys, this is insiders humor) :D

Wim

rene

Post by rene »

Wim van Egmond wrote:Dank je wel Rene!

I don't know about the desmid biodiversity project but I know most of the people who study Desmids here in the Netherlands. Are you involved in that project or know the people working on this? I am part of a dutch club of Desmid fans. http://www.desmids.nl

The semi cells you see in this image are the left overs and will eventually drop off.

This zygote is from the Wisselse Veen near Epe, so its a very religious Zygote! (sorry guys, this is insiders humor) :D

Wim
Well, that's what I ment! Soon I will be joining Koeman en Bijkerk as phycological analyst, so hopefully will become involved in this great desmid group! Desmids are slowly being considered as bioindicators for water quality, just like diatoms can be very specific for certain conditions, like salts and pH.
Looking forward to meet up with you at some stage.

Rene.

micron

Post by micron »

Excellent image Wim - great composition and clarity. If desmids are a indicator of good water quality then the ponds around me are not in great shape - I have found very few desmids so far.

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Ron, If you can find a bog or something with sphagnum moss try to squeeze the sphagnum and you will probably find desmids. There are some other aquatic and marsh plants that may have lots of desmids on it. Utricularia, etc. And with these desmids come many phantastic other organisms!

Rene, I am sure I will meet you soon!

Wim