Rotifer

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Non-Prophet

Rotifer

Post by Non-Prophet »

I've just recently got my first real microscope, it is an old Spencer AO-2 that I picked up off of ebay. I've been having a blast with it. This pic is some kind of rotifer (any help?) that I found in water from a local pond (Colorado). I made a dark-field stop by gluing a piece of tin foil to a slide and it works pretty well. This pic is shot by holding my digital camera up to the eyepiece. 100x magnification.

I'm learning so much from this group. Thank you all!

Gyrosigma

Post by Gyrosigma »

Hello "non-prophet",
some kind of rotifer (any help?)
of course yes... :D

it's a Bdelloidea Family Philodinidae for the rest it's a bit difficult with this image but certainelt a philodina or a rotaria...

you can find more information at this page : http://data.acnatsci.org/biodiversity_d ... ilodinidae

best regards

Dominique

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Non-Prophet :D

Welcome aboard :!: :D It's nice to see you posting here and you've made a great first post. It looks like you'll be posting some great darkfield images. Yes, this is a bdelloid rotifer. Did you happen to know that all bdelloid rotifers are females; no known males? I love these organisms. My aquarium is chock full of bdelloid rotifers. Thanks for sharing this with us. :D

Best regards, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!