Pinworm Eggs in DIC

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

lacerta

Pinworm Eggs in DIC

Post by lacerta »

This is my first stacked DIC image taken on the University's new Zeiss Axiovert 200 microscope. I had the pleasure of being the first researcher to use this awesome piece of equipment. I had to get the Carl Zeiss rep to give me a class. Am still muddling my way through it. So many bells and whistles. At $48K I could never own one of my own. The image is a fecal smear from the endangered gopher tortoise. These are Oxyurida pinworm eggs that seem to be an ubiquitous parasite of these herbivorous reptiles. The microscope comes with a SPOT digital cam system that makes my Moticam look like a toy.

Zeiss AxioVert 200
40X DIC objective
SPOT digicam
George

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know George, this is a great photograph and an interesting one too. But the next time you get the chance. "Lets see a photo of that Axiovert 200" :o I have been mulling over trading in my Axiostar for an Axiophot at a considerable lump, with those Neo what ever you call them objectives and all kinds of bells and whistles but then again maybe not (mumble) who knows eh? :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

lacerta

Post by lacerta »

Will do Ken. It is impressive. It is a huge upside down microscope with Koehler illumination and an objective turret that holds around 8 different objectives. Phase contrast and Nomarski DIC lenses. Has polarizing filters top and bottom, and DIC lenses each have separate "Walliston prisms". The condenser has multiple settings depending on the mode you are shooting in. Has LED readout to tell you what objective is being used as you spin that big objective turret. The SPOT digital camera takes high res pictures and saves them as .tif files. SPOT software provides interface between camera and microscope.
George

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

It sure would be great to see George, thanks. :D I once priced an Axiocam HR for my Axiostar. The camera alone was a whopping $5000.00, not counting the necessary adapters to install it on the Axiostar photo tube. :shock:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Garry DeLong

re pinworm eggs

Post by Garry DeLong »

Interesting but not surprising that these look just like human pinworm eggs.
Garry DeLong

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

George... superb picture. It must be a real treat to be able to put a scope like that through it's paces.