Litonotus... fission separation anxiety? ;-)

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

Litonotus... fission separation anxiety? ;-)

Post by Charles Krebs »

Here is the final stage of reproduction by fission of what I think is Litonitus (although I don't see the two prominent macro-nuclei, so please correct me if I'm wrong). The top photo shows the division process nearing completion. In the middle there is only a single "elastic" strand remaining between the two... the lead individual seemed eager to break this bond. In the lower frame you can see both individuals after separation.

Nikon 40X phase contrast, 2.5X photoeyepiece.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hello Charlie,

Great shots!

Is the color in these shots what you get with your phase setup? Mine are more gray with magenta auras at the edges of the subjects.

All the best,

Mike
"Nil satis nisi optimum"

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Charlie wrote:
the lead individual seemed eager to break this bond.
Sex is sex even in the primative world of microorganisms I suppose. After the deed is done, both parties are ready to split! No pun intended but the more I think on it :-k yeah it is intended. :lol:

Great set of sequencing shots there Charlie. Details and colors all top notch as usual. Thanks. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Do I see that left Litonotus light up a cigarette? :D

Great set of images. I don't think you call this sex. It is more like cloning!

Wim

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Good observation Wim about the cloning. Don't let it out though, someone may try to pass legislation on it. :-s

However your comment concerning cloning, did bring to mind the subject of "stem cells" and how they are used to replicate new tissues in the human body. Makes one wonder about not only the reproduction methods of protozoa but cellular reproduction, structure and function as a whole. Thought provoking isn't it? :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

That is an ethical and difficult subject.

I find conjugation the most interesting technique. Imagine that you meet someone, that you exchange genetic material and that you both become someone else! Or did I misunderstood it a bit? :D

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Wim said:
Imagine that you meet someone, that you exchange genetic material and that you both become someone else!
Been there, done that Wim! It's called "divorce!" :lol: :lol: ](*,) Sorry Wim, I couldn't help myself but it was the first thing that popped into my teeny little mind. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Mike... this is pretty much the color I get with phase. Actually it all depends on the "white balance" on the digital camera. If I'm doing mostly phase-contrast I'll do a "custom white balance" and then it comes out more of a neutral grey. If I use the white balance that I had set for brightfield it comes out a little blue. BTW, I get noticeably different color with different objectives and they are all the same series Nikon.

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

It has a nice cool grey background color, Charly!. My Zeiss phase is much more blue. I prefer a bit more neutral so I tend to filter it a bit. I also have the experience that each objective gives a different colour.

Wim

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Wim, Mike... I find the "background color" of phase is very sensitive to filtration or color balance. When I made color prints in the darkroom (with an enlarger!.... remember those things :wink: ) that same color... grey with a "hint" of blue... was also very sensitive to filtration from the color head. To my way of thinking there really is very little, if any, "accurate" color in phase contrast anyway, so to filter (or color balance) it to a tone that is pleasing only makes sense. In digital form it can look quite different depending on the color space in which it is viewed. I normally work in Adobe RGB, but must change the color balance a fair amount to have it look the similar when posted to the web.

In the same sample where I found this Litonotus I also found the final "tug-of-war" of this reproduction. Not sure what it is... possibly Stichotricha. I figured Ken would like it since it seems like the leader is trying to use an amoeba to complete the "break".

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

The Amoeba is probably the lawyer who makes the most profit from this divorce :D

Interesting info on the colours. The colours look different in different browsers, and also on different computers. I work with a Macintosh and I sometimes notice my images look a bit dark on other people's computers.

By the way. We are quite lucky that our subjects are so extraordinary. When you photograph portraits of humans it is much more frustrating when the colours (I mean colors:D ) change becasue everyone is so familiar with the subject.

Wim

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Everytime some ciliates find themselves in a jam, who do they turn to? The lowely amoeba. :lol: Great image as usual Charlie, enjoy them. Thanks :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy