Suctorean

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Suctorean

Post by Ken Ramos »

Browsing through my "Boone Fork" sample, I found a few of these guys hanging out. Other than those previously posted by my fellow members, this is the first suctorean that I have had the pleasure to observe personally. :D

Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

piotr

Post by piotr »

Great image, Ken, and I haven't seen too many of these guys!
Piotr

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Nice shot Ken. These guys are really fascinating... I guess it's because of the way the capture and "eat" their prey. Like some sort of "science fiction" creature.

Walter Dioni

Tokopfhrya

Post by Walter Dioni »

Ken:

this rotifer has two or four grups of tentales?

regards from Walter

Walter Dioni

Tokophrya

Post by Walter Dioni »

Good picture Ken:

Can you tell me if that species have two or four groups of tentacles?

regards from Walter

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thank You Walter for the reply and comment :D I do believe that this particular one has two groups. However I could not place a positive ID as to speices, because I could not really get a good look at the specimen. There are many different ones, some with and without stalks and the tenticles are in diverse groups. :)

Edit: By the way Walter, I just noticed you as a new member, Welcome Aboard Walter, I am sure you will enjoy our group here. :D :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

gslaten

Post by gslaten »

Hi Ken,

Very nice photo Ken. You have captured the tentacles very clearly. What kind of illumination was used?

Gary

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Hi Gary, appreciate the comment :D It was just the regular 6VDC halgoen base light, condenser all up and iris adjusted for contrast. Did a little post processing of the image with Photo Impact 6 :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

Walter Dioni

tokophrya

Post by Walter Dioni »

Well, Ken:

I am really enjoying the high quality and the enormous variety of subjects that most of the members post. By the same it is very possible that I could generally be only a dumb visit or one that only participates with commentaries. My digital camera has a resolution of only 0.4 Mpx. :oops: Viewing your photos, or those of Wim van Egmond for example, I do not believe that I will participate assiduously.
:cry:

best reards from Walter

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Walter wrote:
My digital camera has a resolution of only 0.4 Mpx.
My first digital camera had a range of 0.3 mpg upto 3.0mpg. At the time I did not or was not sure as how to use a digital camera and I took all of my photographs at 0.3 mpg (email size photos) which were of 480 X 360 in size. Probably the same size images that your camera now produces and I simply shot them by holding the camera to the eyepiece of the microscope. Now I am still not quite versed in the use of digital cameras for photography but I am a little the wiser now because of the examples, help, and advice I recieved from the members of this fine group here. :D

We all have to start somewhere Walter, might I suggest you review the Image Hosting Instructions and the Rules established for the forums, for your convience of course and begin your journy here, as did I. Once again Walter welcome. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Mine was huge then at 0.75 megapixel :D . The old Sony took some darn nice macro shots though. The 1.9 megapixel Sony CD-1000 still competes well for macro and micro.

All the best and fell free to post or try it Walter. Welcome here anytime :D :D

Danny.