I'll eat anything

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Erland

I'll eat anything

Post by Erland »

Mosaic Darners are as large as dragonflies comes. Wing span is about 100 mm. This species is a Aeshna cyanea, and it is certainly my favorite. There is nothing like watching this insect fly around in paths close to you and a bit away from the water, hunting down any flying insect in its way. Most prey are so small it's not seen by the observer, but still the dragonfly can rather quickly fill it's mouth with a chewed up ball of insects, not able to eat it as fast as it's catched.
Often I have observed the foraging behaviour for like 5-10 minutes.

They are hard to get close to when perched, and often you'll never see one perch and get any opportunity for a photo. On cooler days the chances are greater, as flight may not last continously for hours :-)

An other darner, Aeshna mixta once landed on my chest with a fly in its mouth. Flying of again the remains were the wings of a fly who disappeared. I could only brush those of my shirt.

26th of September 2004
10D, sigma 180, 2x extender, f14, 1/250s, iso 800, no flash, uncropped

gunn

Post by gunn »

a stoically silent shot, contributed to in no small part by the gleaming green and the bleachy blue. and accompanied by an equally detached narrative!

regards
gunn

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Nice image Erland and in interesting narrative. The eyes on these things are amazing, so large! Thanks :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Nice details. You even captured the tiny little hairs around its face.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

"I'll eat anything"

I thought you had a shot of me for a minute Erland :shock: :D :wink: . Excellent shot and right in your face this one. Wonderful shot and work. Sharp exactly where it needs to be and the colours, are brilliant.

All the best Erland, love this one :D

Danny.