Aussies, look! Kookaburra eye

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

MikeBinOKlahoma

Aussies, look! Kookaburra eye

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

Full frame. A controlled situation, as you'd expect! I thought the eye was rather striking.
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

gunn

Post by gunn »

this is a great shot my friend. where did you find the creature and how did you get so close to it? i also wonder how it will affect the entire image if you were to 'heal' one or both of the flashgun reflections in the big eye?

my best wishes to you mike
ben

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

This is a real "eye catcher" Mike, Nice :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Looks like a bit of eye drops would be in order or he did not get much sleep with those red eyes. Nice capture Mike B.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

In your face shot Mike !!!. Even us Kiwi's like them Mike :D . Now thats close and what did you use Mike ???.

All the best Mike and excellent shot !!!

Danny.

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

Danny, Gunn--

Canon insisted I return to them the top-secret prototype of the 3600mm f/8 IS DO lens I've been testing for them, so I had to take this shot under controlled conditions in a zoo! There is a fearless Kookaburra (typical Australian! :-) ) that will sit calmly on a branch near the front of the enclosure, even if you come right up to the wire. I was about 20 inches away, at the minimum focus distance of my trusty 300/4 IS with a 500D and a 2x tc on it. Canon 550EX flash provided lighting--I have no idea what the second set of lesser reflections in the eye is unless it is a flying saucer going by behind me. I'll have to check for windows next time I'm there. And play with "Heal" on this one in the meantime, I've gotten several comments on the reflections being annoying.
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Thanks Mike. I was curious and was thinking a 300mm but wasn't sure what you had on the end of it to get this ratio. Excellent use of gear M8t to get this. Impressive sir Mike :D :wink:

Danny.