Praying Mantis Makes Meal of a Hummer

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

mowse

Praying Mantis Makes Meal of a Hummer

Post by mowse »

Amazing, to say the least...

http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/site/ ... ireJul2005

Many species of spider have been known to capture birds, small rodents, and other unlikely prey either via web, trap, or direct attack. This one, though, was something that I never would have imagined.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

I seen another image of this where the hummer was taken out by a mantis. It is amazing and sad to. I like the little hummers.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Finally I got it to open. Had problems opening that yesterday. :D Thanks for the link because thats incredible. Never seen or heard of a Mantis doing this.

On naturephotographers.net few years in the avian forum, someone posted a shot of a bird caught in a web. To see the scale of the bird and the spider was amazing :shock: . Think it might have been E.J. that posted that.

Anyway, fascinating and thanks again :D

Danny.

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

I didn't know they could do that! :shock: Poor humming bird :( Thanks of the link Mowse, you learn something new every day around here. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Ballen Photo

Post by Ballen Photo »

I agree, poor Hummer, but my respect for the Praying Mantis just reached a whole new level. :shock:
-Bruce