Ant Washing

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

acerola

Ant Washing

Post by acerola »

This is one of my best ant shot. I make it today. Red wood ant.

Canon 20D, 100mm macro + 55mm lens reversed
Handheld and a 420Ex with extension cord on a tripod.

Do anybody has a good solution for flash lighting. My method worked here, but I was achored to a place. :)
Péter Ambruzs
Budapest, Hungary

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Nice detailed close up of the ant Peter :D but I am afraid I cannot help with the lighting information of course you will get tons of help here shortly I'm sure. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

lx200

Great Shot!

Post by lx200 »

Personally, I am SOOOOOOO frustrated by ants. They NEVER EVER sit still for me. NEVER. I have been trying to get some really good ant shots all spring/summer, but so far, I have failed. Maybe I have to wait till one is busy washing. Don't know... I will keep trying....

acerola

Post by acerola »

lx200: Yes they are very active. My best shots were taken, when the weather was a little cool. Ant (as many other insect) do slow down when it cool.
Péter Ambruzs
Budapest, Hungary

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

This is excellent. It is hot here, so the ants around here act like they are in NASCAR or something.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

acerola

Post by acerola »

The cool weather can be achieved by waking early. I usually stay up late and hate rise up early, but one time I try it and it worked. I was out photograting before work in the early morning several time since then. It is worth it for me...
Péter Ambruzs
Budapest, Hungary

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

I can do that. I am usually up around 330am. I am a morning person :lol: . But it is too dark at that time. And right now, when the sun come up, it is all ready hot and humid, so I will have to try in the evening or maybe more toward the fall time of year.
Thanks for the advice :D
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Phew !!!. Really enjoying your shots and macro work Peter. Very clean shot again and perfect for a behaviour shot. Nice ratios you are getting with that setup. Love it :D :wink: I would also suggest a flash bracket of some sort Peter. It frees up the hands.

Danny.

pwiles1968

Post by pwiles1968 »

Very Nice, I am struggling with lighting on very small subjects while hand holding the camera, will let you know if I resolve the issue.
Paul - Everywhere you look there is something to see.
My Gallery It's not much but it's Mine.