Long-Nose on the Prowl

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

MikeBinOKlahoma

Long-Nose on the Prowl

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

The Long-nose Green Racer is a tree-dwelling South American snake that prowls about for birds, amphibians and similar small creatures. It's mildly venemous, but the fangs are in the back of the mouth, not up front as in the opisonous snakes we're more used to. This captive snake is on the prowl for dinner.

I broke down recently and bought a 90mm tilt-shift lens. For this shot I did tilt the lens "downwards" to try to get the sharp DOF aligned with the branch. I did this before shooting the snake, and not knowing which branch he'd actually choose, so it is kind of a generic tilt, not specific to the shot. I'm trying to convince myself that it helped keep almost the whole snake in focus. I like the action here, anyway!

This is another zoo shot, taken last night not long after the nictating membrane pic I posted yesterday.

Long-nosed Green Racer
Philodryas baroni
controlled situation
90mm
1/250th second @ f/18
ISO 125
flash as main light
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

You could have given him a "hand out" there Mike. :lol: This is a beautiful creature. Too bad that they are associated with evil things and to think where would we be without snakes. They are an important part of our ecosystems just as anything else. :) A very nice image Mike. I always find your snake posts interesting. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Now he is pretty :D
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome