Green Crested Lizard

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from the "Macro and Close-up Photography Gallery" to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.com website.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

tchuanye

Green Crested Lizard

Post by tchuanye »

Took this in Apr. It was climbing down a tree, and had to approach it slowy with my FZ10+6T.

Exposure Time = 1/160"
F Number = F8
Exposure Program = Manual
ISO Speed Ratings = 50
Ext bounce flash.

Appreciate any comments!

CY

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

Beautiful, simply beautiful.

tchuanye (and Danny too)

I have a very similar setup with a FZ-20 and Nikon 6T and get decent Macro pics, but you two get clarity and sharpness that I cannot as of yet get. Now, I know I have only been at this about 3 months now and I am sure experience is the answer, but what do you think is the main reason you can get such greater clarity than i can (my web page is below if you are curious)...is it more experience in keeping the camera steadier, experience in lighting techniques, or something more intangible?

I appreciate any insight and tips you can share on this

Ken Nelson
http://perceptions.smugmug.com/gallery/717675

tchuanye

Post by tchuanye »

Moebius wrote:Beautiful, simply beautiful.

tchuanye (and Danny too)

I have a very similar setup with a FZ-20 and Nikon 6T and get decent Macro pics, but you two get clarity and sharpness that I cannot as of yet get. Now, I know I have only been at this about 3 months now and I am sure experience is the answer, but what do you think is the main reason you can get such greater clarity than i can (my web page is below if you are curious)...is it more experience in keeping the camera steadier, experience in lighting techniques, or something more intangible?

Ken Nelson
Hi Ken,

Thanks! Check out your pics at your gallery and they are not bad at all! Its hard to just say what is the main reason why one shot is sharp or not, but I will just state what I do....

1) The eyes of the insect must be sharp. The challenge is greater when the subject is smaller. Sometimes, just a few mm off would cause the eyes to be OOF. So that must be in focused first. No special tricks for that.....I got alot of OOF eyes too...just that you get to see those that were not! :)

2) Use F8 for max DOF....which I think you did.

3) Use lowest ISO where possible....no right or wrong in this, but high ISO may lead to noisy image....but this can be clean up with neatimage, which I do.

4) Post process. Do you process the image? I do. Usually, some levels, curves, colour balance and USM (unsharp Mask) which sharpens the image. These helps tremendously.

Well, this are from my point of view. Danny may have others to share......

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Tell ya what, Iwould have to voice Kens comments. That is really a supurb and sharp image. One of the best IMHO. Appreciate the tips. Most I use but have yet to have them grace my images with what you have displayed here. Darn good work tchuanye! :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

The lighting here is wonderful!
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

tchuanye

Post by tchuanye »

Thanks Mike and Ken!

stingrey

Post by stingrey »

Chuan Ye,

Good to see you posting here.
Very nice Image and sharp. Keep them coming.

rgds,
Rey

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Beautiful image, great composition and love that light.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Moebius wrote:Beautiful, simply beautiful.

tchuanye (and Danny too)

Ken Nelson

Hey Ken

Yep, the eye has to be sharp. You do lose some sharpeness, color, etc when you transfer from camera to computer and you need to bring that out in your editing. When I get back home and on a cable connect :roll: , I will PM you on the process.
Sue Alden
Administrator

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

tchuanye,

Thanks for the input.

I have learned to use f8 and low ISO (though a couple times have mistakenly left it on ISO 200, there is certainly a difference!).

I have also learned that eyes are the most important thing to get in focus and I strive for that. I also believe there are some intangibles that separate the professional quality prints like yours with budding amateurs like myself.

Sue,

I would appreciate post-processing hints, as all I do is crop and sometimes mess with the Levels (without really knowing what I am doing) and maybe a tad saturation. I am using PhotoImact 10 but am unable to find a book on it. I also have PS, but haven't tackled the learning curve yet.

Is there any online guide to image post-processing that may help me out?

Ken Nelson

tchuanye

Post by tchuanye »

Thanks Sue and Rey!

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Congratulations on the Administrator's Appreciation Award. This is a beautiful image and looks fantastic on the front cover :D
Sue Alden
Administrator

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Congratulations on your image being selected Tchuanye. This has to be one of my favorites in the Marco Forms. Very beautiful and it looks great on the cover of photomacrography.net! :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

tchuanye

Post by tchuanye »

Thanks for the encouragement! Deeply appreciated!

wtrfall

I like!

Post by wtrfall »

what a nice bright picture! :)

maybe I need to look at something bright because there is two feet of snow on the ground here :cry:
I think it would make a great poster!

my grandaughter likes it too. she aid it looks like a cool lizard she saw before. :)
nice,
lynne