:: View topic - Honeybee eye
 Forum Index
An online community devoted to the practices of photomacrography and amateur microscopy..

New! Photomacrography2.net

This site is no longer available for posting or registering new members.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     UsergroupsUsergroups   
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Honeybee eye

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope Gallery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Honeybee eye Reply with quote

Haven't been able to post much lately, but I did find enough time to combine 87 shots with Helicon Focus to get the depth on this honeybee eye.

10X objective, 2.5X photo-eyepiece. Canon 350D. Two fiber optic light guides through small diffusion "dome".
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Charlie,

Wonderful shot that will likely be used to teach biologists! (If not, it should be.)

I'm a little taken aback by 87 shots - is that number needed?

All the best,

Mike
Ken Ramos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a dang good shot Charlie. Very Happy Do you think you could have gotten a little more detail in it though? Laughing
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike... 87 might be a little overkill Wink
But I used a 10X with a pretty high na so DOF was really shallow. And any time the subject has fine hairs protruding toward the objective like this I like to err on the side of too many images. Otherwise you might "miss" a layer and the software can't make a continuous straight line out of the hair, and you get a jagged line.
In addition, it's hard to tell from the picture, but the antenna protruded closer to the lens than the eye, so a significant number of images were needed just to "pull" that into focus.

If I have some time, maybe I'll run it again with every other image in the stack and see how much difference there is.
Ken Ramos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Charlie, what is that cup shaped object just above the eye and just to the right of it? Any ideas? Very Happy
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken... That's an ocellus. It's a little tough to get oriented on this shot because the heads is at a strange angle... but it's one of the "simple" eyes on top of the head.
lacerta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another incredible image! As always I am inspired. Your comments on technique have taught me much. I am obsessed with detail and focus and so far my images have been rather disappointing. 87 images!? Hmmm. Maybe that's where I can improve. Instead of taking quarter-turns on the fine focus knob, perhaps smaller "bites" will help. Thanks Charlie.
George
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike... I played around with the stack and you were right. This could probably have been made with about 25 images. I've been frustrated a few times when I made the interval too large and encountered problems, so I really overdo it sometimes!

So George.... nevermind the 87!... save yourself some hard disk space. Wink
Ken Ramos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie said:
Quote:
Ken... That's an ocellus. It's a little tough to get oriented on this shot because the heads is at a strange angle... but it's one of the "simple" eyes on top of the head.

I sort of thought so Charlie but I am used to seeing them farther back from the eye of most insects and that it appeared "cup" shaped to me. That is what prompted my question. Thanks Charlie. Very Happy
Kens Microscopy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope Gallery All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: