Little green eating machine...Immature Grasshopper

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

twebster
Site Admin

Little green eating machine...Immature Grasshopper

Post by twebster »

Hi y'all :D

This little guy was chomping through a lantanna leaf faster than my teenage daughter chomps through lettuce in her sandwich :!: :shock: :!:

This is one of the few times I put the diffuser on the flash. The hopper was tucked in under some other leaves so I had to aim the flash straight ahead. This produced copious amounts of glare on the hopper and the leaf when photographed without a diffuser over the flash head. I added a Sto-fen Omni-bounce diffuser to the flash head to control the glare. Again, even with a diffuser over the flash, it pays to get the flash head as close to your subject as possible.

Enjoy, my friends :!: :D

Canon EOS D30, 90mm f. 2.8 Tamron macro lens, ISO 200, electronic flash -2/3 with Omni-bounce diffuser, 1/200 sec at f. 16.
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Pretty neat image Tom. I have never seen a hopper like this. Most of the ones I see are the big green or gray ones that spit on ya. :)
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

Tom, a very neat close-in shot. I've also used a diffuser on a lot of my shots, and it does help, though I am mostly resigned to some flash glare in many of my shots.

I like the good view of the hopper doing one of the three things hoppers do really well....(the others are jump and make more hoppers).
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

Hank

Post by Hank »

Grasshoppers are voracious eaters. For the fans of Insectia videos, here is a short 50 seconds clip of a grasshopper devouring leaves on a red cone flower.

http://tinyurl.com/9543p
or
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictu ... lbumInvite

Camcorder used - SONY TRV900 with a 35 mm lens mounted in reverse "a la Plonsky", handheld, natural light. The video, shot in progressive mode (15 frames/s), is not speeded up - this critter was really eating this fast.

Hank