Partially Cross-Polarized Fly...

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

twebster
Site Admin

Partially Cross-Polarized Fly...

Post by twebster »

Hi y'all :D

Yesterday I experimented with placing a piece of polarizing material over the flash head and then placing a circular polarizing filter on the camera lens to cut down on glare in my images. By aligning the polarizing angles at 90° between the filter on the flash and the filter on the camera you can essentially eliminate glare from the flash exposure. This looks to be a very promising method of controling glare...

I know this is not the best composition in the world. I cut off the fly's feet and wings. I could hardly see the image in the viewfinder. I had the Tamron lens focused to 1:1 which loses 2 f. stops of light and I had the 2x teleconverter attached to the lens which made it lose 2 more stops. My 90mm f. 2.8 lens ended up being an f. 16 lens at maximum aperture. To top it all off, the fly was in deep shade. Difficult conditions for sure. However, notice the lack of significant glare spots and how saturated the colors have become. I made a post in the "Techniques" forum, http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... php?t=3629, as to how I used the polarizing filters.

Give it a try, my friends :!: :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Tom, this looks quite promising!

Any chance that you can set up a static subject and shoot for us a side-by-side set with no polarizers and varying cross angles, say 45, 60, 75, and 90 degrees? Maybe some sand, a dead fly, and a chunk of leaf?

I am particularly struck by the increase in saturation that you point out. It seems especially obvious on the eye. This makes sense to me (after considerable thinking!) because the eye is actually composed of a bunch of very small shiny facets. With normal lighting the eye is always giving us a substantial amount of light from reflections that are actually specular, even though they are individually so tiny and spread out that they look diffuse. Since specular reflections are non-colored, the saturation drops.

I just now ran some quick experiments using sheet polarizers with a flashlight in a dark room. The increase in color saturation depends on the material. This particular room was a storage area with numerous cardboard boxes. There were significant differences even from box to box. Some of the cardboard & writing showed no difference as I rotated the polarizers; some other cardboard and writing became obviously more saturated. On closer study, it seemed that the material showing no effect had no shiny surfaces even under magnification, while the material showing large effect had some sort of shiny coating on the fibers.

I tried finding some literature about this and came up pretty dry. It's commonly written that using a single polarizer will increase color saturation under some conditions, and it's also written that using crossed polarizers will eliminate specular reflections. But using Google, I couldn't find anything written about crossed polarizers and increased color saturation. I suppose this is common knowledge in some communities, but I sure hadn't thought about it.

Thanks for developing this technique! :D :D

--Rik

PS. New users beware: As discussed in an earlier thread, crossed polarizers won't do what you probably want with most bare metal surfaces. They go black or close to it. The reason is that with a metallic surface all of the reflected light remains polarized, whereas with non-metallic surfaces the specular reflections remain polarized but bulk reflections become non-polarized. If you want a quick demo, try the flashlight test with a penny.