Green Vorticella

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Wim van Egmond

Green Vorticella

Post by Wim van Egmond »

A small Vorticella with the symbiotic algae Chlorella inside.

Wim

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Fascinating specimen Wim. Great shot (as usual :wink: )

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Have yet to see one of these. Would like to though. Very nice image Wim. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

GreenLarry

Post by GreenLarry »

Do all Vorticellae form these symbiotic relationships with algae, or just certain species?

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Only some species contain these symbiotic algae . You can also find them inside some Stentors, Hydras, Paramecia and numerous other organisms.

Wim

GreenLarry

Post by GreenLarry »

Ah, I've seen them in Paramecia, the so called slipper animalcules(love that old name, animalcules!), but not seen Stentor with them.

Harry Yosh

Post by Harry Yosh »

Based on the photo shown above, I tried to synthesize a stereograph (with permission by Wim).
(software: Stereographer)

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Thank you very much Harry!

I wanted to reply on the earlier postings by Harry because I am realy into stereoscopy myself. And now he was so kind to convert one of my images into stereo. The software is very interesting.

I enhanced it slightly to make it a bit more spherical. You can do this in photoshop with the stamp option. If you stamp one pixel to the right or left you can manually add depth or make areas less deep.

For those who don't know how to view this. You have to stare at the image so the left eye sees the left image and the right eye sees the right image.

Your posting was very much appreciated Harry! I hope to see more 3D in the forum!

Wim

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know I have stared at these images, as I have others, and cannot see anything other than two identical images side by side. Maybe this technique is not for everyone. Not that I am criticising the technique, it is just that I cannot percive the images as others may see them. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

You have to have rubber eye balls, Ken! :D

Do you have red and blue 3D glasses? I can post an image you can watch with those.

Wim

Sergio Zalewska

Post by Sergio Zalewska »

The enhanced version is great!
Ken, you have first to focus your eyes at infinite, as if you were looking through the monitor. Each eye will then look directly to the respective image in front of it. You will see three images out of focus (it is beacuse you see two images with right eye and two with left eye and the two in the middle are matching).
Then, with not much effort you start to focus to the middle image.
The trick is not to stress, and do it really slowly. In few seconds the image just appears :)

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Wim, this enhanced version is spectacular! :!: :D

BTW, I normally view these stereo pairs crossed-eye. That way I can have them as big as I want, and still be able to fuse them.
Also, I use StereoPhoto Maker (SPM, see http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/). It allows swapping left/right at the click of a button (for cross-eye viewing), and for high resolution images it allows dynamic zooming using the mousewheel. It integrates with Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser so the SPM viewer can be accessed directly from a right-click menu. Very nice tool...

--Rik

Harry Yosh

Post by Harry Yosh »

Wim van Egmond wrote:Thank you very much Harry!

I wanted to reply on the earlier postings by Harry because I am realy into stereoscopy myself. And now he was so kind to convert one of my images into stereo. The software is very interesting.

I enhanced it slightly to make it a bit more spherical. You can do this in photoshop with the stamp option. If you stamp one pixel to the right or left you can manually add depth or make areas less deep.

For those who don't know how to view this. You have to stare at the image so the left eye sees the left image and the right eye sees the right image.

Your posting was very much appreciated Harry! I hope to see more 3D in the forum!

Wim
You're welcome! Wow, I can see the body of vorticella cylindrically. Surely it's better than my stereograph. By the way I'm viewing your stereograph with parallel eyes. Should I view it with crossed eyes...?

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Harry, to view these crossed, I use SPM to swap left/right. As posted, they appear intended to be viewed parallel. My earlier post might have been confusing about this.
--Rik

Harry Yosh

Post by Harry Yosh »

rjlittlefield wrote:Harry, to view these crossed, I use SPM to swap left/right. As posted, they appear intended to be viewed parallel. My earlier post might have been confusing about this.
--Rik
Oh, sorry. For, I heard some persons don't like viewing with crossed eyes...
The following stereograph was synthesized based on Wim's photo (view: crossed eyes).
(software: Stereographer)