Red Blood Cells

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

micron

Red Blood Cells

Post by micron »

I have taken the plunge and purchased a Nikon D50 DSLR. Needless to say one of the first things I did was to mount it on my microscope. The pictures are noticeably better then the 4500 but the camera is not quite as handy to use. Although I would have preferred live subjects to test the camera my cultures have pretty much given up the ghost so I am forced to use prepared slides. Here is a pic that does a good job of illustrating the donut shape of red blood cells. The blood cells were found in a longitudinal section of a pituitary gland.

Nikon D50
Zeiss Photomicroscope II
Zeiss 10x S-Kpl eyepiece
Zeiss Plan-Neofluar water immersion 63x/1.20
Zeiss achromatic-aplanatic VZ NA 1.4 condenser
Electronic flash – brightfield
Paint Shop Pro 7.0 enhancement

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Ron,

Glad to see you have it up and running so quickly. Be sure to keep us updated as to your results. Also, if you ever have a shot where you know you will need to really "stretch" contrast and levels you may want to experiment a little with shooting "raw", converting, and making adjustments in 16 bit mode.

micron

Post by micron »

Thanks for the tip - I will give that a try.