Face to face with an alien

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

MikeBinOKlahoma

Face to face with an alien

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

Reticulated python, up close and personal as he decides whether or not to invite you to dinner!

Reticulated python
Python reticulatus
controlled situation
90mm lens with closeup diopter
1/250th second @ f/16
ISO 100
flash as main light
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

hidden.forms

Post by hidden.forms »

Wonderful shot, wouldn't want to be to close to it :D
Craig Gilder
Canon 20D, Sigma 105mm macro, kenko tubes Canon 580ex flash

http://flickr.com/photos/gilder/

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

This image frightens me.

It is an interesting reaction. The rest of your pictures, I find attractive or thought-provoking or amusing or quixotic or...

But this one is different. It scares the beejesus out of me and I don't know why. I'm not going to spend a lot of time studying the issue either, because I'm going to bed soon and I really don't want nightmares!

You done good, Mike.

--Rik

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

It makes you want to reach out and pet his little head :lol: . Beautifully done Mike.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Ya all pet the snake all you want, I will just watch. From a distance of course. Did ya all see the movie Anaconda? :lol: Great head-on image there Mike, good work! :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

Ken Ramos wrote:Did ya all see the movie Anaconda? :lol:
From what people tell me, Reticulated Pythons are a lot meaner than the anacondas. I've heard a number of stories from past and present staff at zoos (not just my zoo) telling about how aggressive they are. We have a large anaconda in our zoo, and I don't photograph him often, he is pretty passive. Our Retic moves around more, and doesn't like me getting close. He's struck at me several times (with glass in between, so no danger). I'll take an anaconda over this for a roommate anyday!
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know when I was stationed in the Philippines, pythons were a common sight in the jungle areas where I worked. Some were well over 18 feet and some odd inches in length. :shock: Stories have it that in base housing, a python had got into a residence yard and had swallowed a young child. :( Quite a grousome story this is but it relates the dangers of these snakes that people often times want to have or do have as pets. :)
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

biawak

Post by biawak »

It's always good to see a nice photo of the colourful Sulawesi retic, Mike.
BTW this is probably the type of retic that holds the Guinness world record for the longest snake. I think the record was for a 32' 9.5" retic from Gorontalo, Sulawesi (Celebes) island
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/con ... rdid=51013

Ken, I've also seen photos of retics that killed adult humans (one even swallowed a person). There is a dwarf subspecies that would be better as pets....
biawak.deviantart.com