More hydra photos

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

gslaten

More hydra photos

Post by gslaten »

Hi,

I have been attempting to photograph hydras that are attached to the glass on one of my aquariums using the CP950 by itself, but it hasn't been very satisfactory. An attempt with a B&L Stereozoom wasn't much better. Today I assembled a horizontal microscope which I can both elevate and slide horizontally across the width of the the aquarium, and it appears it will be an improvement.

Anyway, I was observing this hydra when it snagged an ostracod.

By the time the camera recovered and I was able to take the second shot, the hydra had moved the happless ostracod to it's mouth. The actual movement of the tentacle was reminiscent of a recoiling vorticella.

I was unable to observe the rest of the process, but there are several hydras in this culture and they are all very well fed.

I will post a photo of the microscope setup in the Technique and Technical Discussion forum for anyone interested.

Nikon 4X objective
10X widefield stereo EP as relay lens
Nikon CP950 camera
Flood lighting from the left

Gary

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

These are some pretty neat photographs Gary. You know that horizontal microscope of yours may be of some interest around here. Lot of us got aquariums with "stuff" living in them. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

gslaten

Post by gslaten »

Hi Ken,

Thanks. They are sure fun to watch, at least for me. Sure glad they are tiny. I just posted a phot of the microscope setup in the Technique and Technical Discussion forum.

Gary