Ol' White-Eyes (pre-molting behavior)

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

MikeBinOKlahoma

Ol' White-Eyes (pre-molting behavior)

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

For a brief period before shedding their skin, many snake's eyes turn completely white as the outer scale separates (snakes don't have eyelids, their eyes look at the world through a special clear scale). This only lasts for a day or so, but the snake understandably finds it upsetting! This Western Diamondback Rattlesnake is trying to rub the obstruction off his eye. After a day or so, the white coloration goes away and the snake can see again. Soon after, the snake will shed his skin. This Diamondback will have an additional button on his rattle after shedding (they gain another button each time they shed).

Western Diamondback Rattlesnake
controlled situation
90mm lens
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

Great Capture Mike, and the timing on this one was perfect. Thanks for the Info as well. :D :D
Always look at Nature with wide eyes.
Rick Cowen
Canon 5D, Canon 70-300 IS USM.Sigma 150 2.8 Macro, Sigma 170-500. A set of Kenko tubes. Check out my Gallery here!

http://www.pbase.com/1bald_eagle/macro

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Great image Mike! :o Looks like road kill with that eye glazed over. Many years ago while out fishing, I almost sat down on a cottonmouth in the same situation. :shock:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

MacroMike
Site Admin

Post by MacroMike »

Hello Mike.

Nice shot and interesting information. Excellent job of capturing detail in the whites. I think I saw that face in a Harry Potter movie.
Michael Keniston
Site Administrator
Tampa, FL
www.aclosereyeview.com
m_keniston@aclosereyeview.com

"The possession of a camera can inspire something akin to lust and like all credible forms of lust, it can not be satisfied."

Susan Sontag, On Photography (1977)

Sortvind

Post by Sortvind »

Wow, a really greatly captured image!!:D
Show the world what they dont take time to see