Dragonfly on porterweed

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

MacroMike
Site Admin

Dragonfly on porterweed

Post by MacroMike »

Michael Keniston
Site Administrator
Tampa, FL
www.aclosereyeview.com
m_keniston@aclosereyeview.com

"The possession of a camera can inspire something akin to lust and like all credible forms of lust, it can not be satisfied."

Susan Sontag, On Photography (1977)

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Beautiful Mike. I have yet to see any of these guys in my area yet, but hopefully it will not be long before they show themselves.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Yes beautiful shot M8t. love that clean background which makes this stand out so well. Sharp details Mike. :wink:

All the best up there M8t :D

Danny.

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

Good job! I spent the weekend in Austin trying to shoot dragonflies, and came back with a bunch of shots with crummy backgrounds! *sigh* You did a better job here.
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

Roy Patience

Post by Roy Patience »

Mike,

What an impressive image. The sharpness, DOF and composition are excellent.

Can you help those of us who struggle with backgrounds how you obtained such a clean background?

Roy

MacroMike
Site Admin

Post by MacroMike »

Thanks all for your comments.

Roy, when I go "hunting" for critters and come across one, I back off and think about the best approach to avoid startling the subject and angle for composition.

In this instance, the dragonfly was looking over it's domain (my backyard) from the end of a branch. Directly to the West was the rest of the porterweed bush (too busy and close), 15 feet to the East was a lake (but the bush was in the way), 40 feet to the South was a wooden fence (not so bad), 40 feet to the North were hedges (ideal).

Dragonflies are territorial and often leave their lookout to patrol the area then return to the same perch. If your approach causes one to take flight don't give up. It's your movement that alerts them. If you position your camera for a shot and stay still patiently waiting there's a good chance that you will blend into the scenery and the dragonfly will land right in front of you.
Michael Keniston
Site Administrator
Tampa, FL
www.aclosereyeview.com
m_keniston@aclosereyeview.com

"The possession of a camera can inspire something akin to lust and like all credible forms of lust, it can not be satisfied."

Susan Sontag, On Photography (1977)

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

That is a clean background Mike and I really like the metallic colors. A very nice and sharp photograph indeed. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.