Gaboon Viper Patterns

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

MikeBinOKlahoma

Gaboon Viper Patterns

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

I've been traveling for awhile and not posting. But traveling often means I can find time to visit someplace new to me, whether a natural site, or just a zoo, including the one where I photographed this Gaboon Viper. The patterns on this guy are just fabulous! They remind me of those on some African artwork I've seen.
Last edited by MikeBinOKlahoma on Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Looks as though someone hit it in the head with a shovel Mike, look how flat it is! It does have some very nice patterns though as you mentioned. You know with all the snake images you have accumulated here of late, maybe you should consider a book about them and the photographic expertise associated with the imaging of each one. You have got some very interesting and impacting shots for sure. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

MikeBinOKlahoma

Ken Ramos wrote:Looks as though someone hit it in the head with a shovel Mike, look how flat it is! It does have some very nice patterns though as you mentioned. You know with all the snake images you have accumulated here of late, maybe you should consider a book about them and the photographic expertise associated with the imaging of each one. You have got some very interesting and impacting shots for sure. :D
These guys do have very strange big flat heads. I'd love to do a book, though I'm not sure any publisher would want a whole book of "captive" snake portraits, which is what most of my portfolio is. My wild snake portfolio is pretty small, and mostly has shots of snake tails disappearing into underbrush or beneath rocks!
Mike Broderick

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Nice shot again Mike. You certainly are the snake man in my book. Love the textures M8t and the colouring of these. A bit closer macro would be nice as well :D , come on, give us some head shots. You know you want to :D

All the best Mike, excellent work you take sir. :wink:

Danny.

Meadster

Post by Meadster »

Mike,

<twilight zone music begins playing>

After looking at your last two posts (Emerald Tree Viper & this Gaboon Viper) I was shocked that I took 2 very similar images on Monday when I visited the Cameron Park Zoo in Waco, TX. What are the odds that 2 zoos in our neck of the woods (North TX/Okla) have these 2 critters? I'll post my 2 images later when I can get a hold of them.

<music fades>

Thanks for the great images!

Meadster

Post by Meadster »

Here is my image of the Gaboon viper from Cameron Park Zoo.......

MikeBinOKlahoma

Hi John!

Yep, you pegged it--I was at the same zoo, and only a day before you visited! I was there Sunday. They have a very nice herpetarium there, with some good, roomy displays. And I believe this was the first time I've ever seen a living king cobra (though he was not active, and not in a very photogenic pose).

The Gaboon Viper display was nice and roomy, but I sure didn't care for the hut setting and the cans laying around! I had to position myself and frame the snake very carefully in my shot to avoid capturing any of that.
Mike Broderick