Looks Like a Fly

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Looks Like a Fly

Post by Ken Ramos »

Fuji FinePix S7000 @ 6 megs
Macro mode 2
Manual Exposure mode
1/200 sec. @ f/2.8 ISO 200
Morning daylight, overcast
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Love the DOF in this Ken, just right IMHO and nice placement in the frame. Reminds me of a robber fly but the antenna is different M8t. Could be a variety though. You folks have different flies up your way :D . Very nice balanced macro sir Ramos.

All the best Ken, nicely macroed (That should be a word :wink: )

Danny.

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Danny :D "Nicely macroed" will suffice I suppose. In the Micro Forums they have "Krebs-like" microphotographs. :lol: Don't know what kind of bug it is Danny, the mountains around here are full of strange stuff. :shock:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Hello Ken,

It could be one of these. See the first picture in this gallery.
http://www1.tip.nl/~t936927/gal/1/index.html

I am not sure of the ID is correct. It should be: Trypetoptera punctulata. I should update this page:) So many things to do, so little time.

Wim

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Wim, I did some looking around and it seems I have photographed a series of "Robber Flies," here lately. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Ken, good capture! Crisp on the fly, and that S7000 has great bokeh for the soft backgrounds.

I took a quick trip through my usual refs. I think you might have a "marsh fly" (family Sciomyzidae, perhaps genus Tetanocera, e.g. http://bugguide.net/node/view/18941/bgimage and http://bugguide.net/node/view/7740/bgimage).
Wim van Egmond wrote:See the first picture in this gallery.
http://www1.tip.nl/~t936927/gal/1/index.html
So many things to do, so little time.
Wim, your gallery is awesome :!: :shock:

Can you crack free enough time to tell us briefly about what equipment you used to make those micro and macro stereo shots?

--Rik

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Beautiful capture Ken. Nice composition and your background is perfect for this shot.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Sue, I looked at Riks link and I suppose it is a "Marsh Fly." (Thanks Rik :wink: ) But I don't even live near a marsh, heck I don't even have a mud puddle in the drive (its asphalt). I was stationed with this guy while in the Navy, his name was Marsh. Had a few flys that hung around him. I guess you could call them "Marsh Flies." :lol:

FYI, I almost bought a 20D this weekend but backed out. Ya still got that lens?
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

I have lots of lens..which one?
Sue Alden
Administrator

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

That one you had for sale here a while back :roll:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

You talking about the Canon 100-400L IS USM? That is a great lens, but it is more for birds than the bees if you know what I mean. Yea, I never put it up really. I do have an inquiry for it, but I have yet to get back to them. Been busy.
Sue Alden
Administrator

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Oh, o.k. I thought it was a bug lens. I figured if I went ahead and got a lens it would then be necessary then for me to go ahead and get the camera. I keep backing out because I cannot get the camera with a macro lens. I do not want a standard zoom in and out and do this and that lens. I want the body with a good macro lens and I cannot get that. I have to buy one and then the other and so on and so forth and.....I feel like Lilo and Stitch. :lol:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

You might want to look at the Sigma lense too. I would stick to Canon, but that is me, and there is nothing wrong with Sigma. Look for the Canon 100mm Macro 2.8. That is my primary lens for macro. I hear the 180 is good too, but cost a bit more.

Get the camera..it is a great camera and put the lens on your Christmas List for relatives to get for you. :lol:
Sue Alden
Administrator

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Sue said:
Get the camera..it is a great camera and put the lens on your Christmas List for relatives to get for you.
I'd have a better chance of being envolved in a nuclear holocost and surviving :lol: My relatives! ##**!!###!!! Humph!!! :evil: :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy