Tasmanian lichens...

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

crocoite

Tasmanian lichens...

Post by crocoite »

Taken on Saturday, same area as epacris. The first is about 5" FOV, the second double that. Both are living in the forest litter amongst gum leaves. Can't determine the species but I think they are commonly known as 'coral lichens'. There are apparently over 200 species of lichen in Tasmanian rainforests alone and rainforest is only a part of the eco-system!

Actually, I learnt something new whilst trying to locate some information. I didn't know (or didn't remember - I may have learnt this at some time :oops: ) that lichens are part fungi and part algae - a symbiotic relationship...

Regards
Steve

Look at everything everyday. No, really. Look at EVERYTHING EVERYDAY.
The Real Meaning of Life!

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Lichens so often get looked over as far as photography goes, unless you just happen to find some that are quite colorful and there are some species that are. That's to bad because they are a sort of curiosity. You are right about the symbiotic relationship between the algae and the fungi. Some researchers speculate that it may not be a symbiotic relationship because there is evidence that the algae benifits nothing from the fungi itself but is trapped by the fungi and is used for the nourishment of the fungi, giving nothing in return to the algae.

This looks to be what is called Reindeer Moss lichen. I have these growing on the ground underneath the pines in my backyard. They are tough little organisms and can weather dry periods quite well, as do most lichens. Lichens are also an indicator of air quality. They do not tolerate air pollution very well. So the more lichens you have in a specific area is a good indication of the air quality for that area. Some really nice photographs Steve. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Beetleman

Post by Beetleman »

Interesting subject Steve and some nice photos. Also some great info on the fungi from both of you...thanks :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda
Canon PowerShot S1 IS with Canon 250D closeup lens

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

Ken Ramos wrote:So the more lichens you have in a specific area is a good indication of the air quality for that area.
We have lots, an really good air too, so that could be right.

Thanks Ken and Doug
Regards
Steve

Look at everything everyday. No, really. Look at EVERYTHING EVERYDAY.
The Real Meaning of Life!