ant versus woodlouse

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from the "Macro and Close-up Photography Gallery" to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.com website.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Wim van Egmond

ant versus woodlouse

Post by Wim van Egmond »

I post this with some explanation. Rik asked what equipment I used for my 3D macro pictures.
http://www1.tip.nl/~t936927/gal/2/index.html
http://www1.tip.nl/~t936927/gal/1/index.html

They were made some years ago with a camera build by a friend of mine. It had one lens but two diaphragms and behind those tehre were little mirrors so the image of each diaphragm was split and resulted in two images side by side on a 120 mm roll film. Worked quite good. I have not done 3D macro for some time. But i have been working with another fine trick used on that camera.

These were made with a Nikon D70 and a Leitz photar lens. With the strong magnification you can make with such an objective it is almost impossible to work through the viewfinder. So I made two little pins/needles sticking out in front. The tips of the needles indicate the focal plane and they also give the width of the frame. So when an insect is between the needles it is in focus.

Especially on a digital camera it works well. I'll post an ant with a woodlice. One is a cropped part of the same image to show the details. I can zoom in even further.

Wim

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Superb :!:

Thanks for the image and explanation! :D

--Rik

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Oh my goodness, Wim :!: :D

The details in this image are incredible :!: :D This image rivals any image I've seen taken with Canon's MPE-65. Simply stunning, Wim. :D

Best regards as always, my friend :!: :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Now that's MACRO! :o Nuff said!
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Thanks! They are perhaps slightly dark. I made many images of ants for an artproject. I combined about 60 such images in a very high res photomontage.

The trick with the pins works very good for these small subjects. I was almost sitting in the Ant nest when I made this image. If you don't move they don't do much. :D

The pens looks like this. I added a reflection screen to light up the shadows.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Now that is an ant photo. What beautiful details.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

The closeup of the locked jaws is amazing! My MP-E-65 is turning green with envy!
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well here I am, lost again. :lol: What's an MP-E-65 :?: Probably something for me to spend more money on, as if I haven't just spent enough already. :lol:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

Ken Ramos wrote: What's an MP-E-65 :?: Probably something for me to spend more money on, as if I haven't just spent enough already. :lol:
Yep....It's something else to spend your money on. The MP-E-65 is a Canon lens (so you have to have a Canon SLR to use it on) that lets you take photos at up to five times lifesize. For this privilege, you endure incredible inconveniences and hardships, such as no DOF, barely being able to focus past the front glass of the lens, and a lens that grows to be almost a foot long at 5x. As you can tell, I really hate mine! :P Do a search on "mp-e-65" and look at some of the images I posted and you'll see that I truly loathe it.....NOT!
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

I knew it! :lol:

Thanks Mike. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

I been researching that lens and boy would I love to be punished with that thing :lol: .
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome