Strange worm

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

bernhardinho

Strange worm

Post by bernhardinho »

Hello everybody,

does anyone have an idea what kind of lovely this one might be?

Bernhard

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Bernhard.... you have been so helpful with ID's that I wish I could return the favor.... but I'm afraid I have no idea. You have captured excellent details, so hopefully someone can offer an ID.

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Thanks Charles,

I forgot to mention that the size of the critter is about 1-1.5mm. Well, I've pondered over many books on zoology, but this worm buisness is hopeless. As it doesn't show any hairs or bristles it probably is some sort of oligochaete. This group has more than 7000 species, so I think I just call it a worm!

Bernhard

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Hi,

three cheers to the combined forces of this splendid forum: due to the hint of the member cassian, I think I could identify the critter. Cassian wrote me that this should be a nematode of some sort, the clearly visible spear being a typical feature. Well, I didn't know there are segmented nematodes ( all I've come across were those tiny eel-like things that scurry all over the place). a google search on ring nematodes lead me to the following pages:

http://nematode.unl.edu/mesocriconemavine.htm

That's it, wouldn't you agree?

Thank's again, cassian!!

Bernhard

piotr

Post by piotr »

Very interesting find and nice pictures!
Piotr