Hello - Introductions

Danny, Michael, and I (Tom) couldn't be happier and more impressed with our members and friends! It would be wonderful if we all got to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself. We are looking forward to meeting you all!

Moderators: nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Carl_Constantine

Hello - Introductions

Post by Carl_Constantine »

Hi everyone.

First, Thomas, let me add my condolances on the recent passing of yor Father.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Carl B. Constantine and I'm an amature photographer with a specific intrest in Macro Photography. You can see some of my images at http://photo-op.ca/. While not all images there are macro, it's a general photo-blog, Macro is where I want to spend most of my time.

I live in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, so if any of you are near by, I'd love to hear it.

I use a Canon Digital Rebel (300D) purchased just recently. However, I don't have any macro lenses. I have a 50/1.8, a 75-300 USM III F4, and the 18-55 kit lens. I can't afford a macro lens at present, either Canon or Tamron so just get by as best I can for now. I might invest in some extension tubes as that might be a more affordable way to go and I can use them with any lens at that point :-)

I've looked over the forum and seen some of everyone's work. Amazing! And I hope to get to that point one day. The forum wouldn't let me register with my private email address so I had to use my business email. However, my main private email is shown on my images and on my site. (gmail account).

I look forward to learning from everyone and hope to have some good quality photos to share with people as time progresses.

Thanks all, and have a good day.
Carl B. Constantine
http://photo-op.ca/

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

Welcome Carl! Very congenial place we have here, and you're encouraged to post some of your macro shots.

For macro on a budget, I highly recommend the Vivitar (also sold as Phoenix or Cosina--Same lens, just different nameplate) 100/3.5 macro. Goes to half life-size on its own, and includes a diopter you screw onto the front to take it to life-size (you lose infinity focus). Very very sharp when stopped down, very light, and more affordable than most macro lenses. It was what I started out doing macro with, and it was great! I'd have a look at it.
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Hello Carl and welcome. :D I see that Mike has already welcomed you to the group and has given you some handy info to get you started. That's great. :D

Yes we have a very good group of members here with tons of talent both in Macro and Micro, so take a look at both if you haven't already. Look around in Community and check out some of the posts. You may find several with "mug" shots of our members doing various things other than photography and some woofing down "MIGHTY DOGS" at a fast food joint :lol: or just plain introducing themselves. A face to put with a post makes them a little more personal I think.

As for the e-mail issue, I hope that you were not in anyway inconvenienced, it is just that we have had a flood of SPAM here of late and it was getting to be a big issue to keep under control. So we had to alter the e-mail settings for registration.

Anyway Carl, again welcome aboard. We hope you enjoy yourself and we are anticipating seeing your work once you get situated. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Red Seven

Post by Red Seven »

Welcome Carl! Small world...I'm from Victoria as well. My interest is in exploring anything that will fit under my recently acquired microscopes when I can find some spare time. I have a shop down at 536 Herald St. (Studio 201 Furniture) and I'm working on another one at the moment so never enough free time to pursue the microscopy as much as I'd like.
You should find this a great place for macrophotography! There are some awesome photographers here. Everytime I look at photos by Charles Kreb I'm awestruck. I could only dream of ever producing images like these!
Anyway enjoy and I look forward to seeing your future macrophotographic efforts! Vancouver Island will certainly provide you with subjects of all kinds from ocean to freshwater to plants and minerals!

Carl_Constantine

Thanks everyone

Post by Carl_Constantine »

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I really look forward to learning from everyone here.
Carl B. Constantine
http://photo-op.ca/