Some Kind'a "pede"

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Some Kind'a "pede"

Post by Ken Ramos »

Went prowling around in the mountains today and at our local photo supply. Found this critter squirmming around on the forest floor. Not a centipede I don't think, much too large. :-k

Canon EOS 20D
Manual exposure
430EX Speedlight (Auto)
60mm f/2.8 Canon Macro USM
1/250 sec. @ f/6.3 ISO 100
Deep forest shade
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

I believe it's a millipede. Did you trade in your 100mm macro for a 60mm macro? How do you like the difference?
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Mike asked:
Did you trade in your 100mm macro for a 60mm macro? How do you like the difference?
Nope, still have the 100mm. I was checking on my battery grip to see if it had arrived yet and they had this EF-S 60mm Macro out where I could see it. So you know how it is, started fiddling around with it and left with it. Got my off camera flash cord too today. Now I got to get that flash bracket. :-k

I like this little lens, sort of an all purpose type in a general way. I have got to pay attention to my settings though, quite different from the 100mm since I am much closer to the subject and I am going to have to cut up a milk jug or something to make a diffuser. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

WOW KEN :!: :shock:

You got a photo of the extremely rarest of all 'pedes :!: :shock: This is the "bumble-pede", Diplopoda bombus. It is considered to represent the evolutionary link between millipedes and bumble bees. Send this one to National Geographic :!: :D :D

Very cool image, my friend :!: :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

I don't know Tom, looks to me like it may have evolved from some yellow jackets mess'n around. :lol: Thanks Tom! :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

Sven Bernert

Post by Sven Bernert »

Wow, what a cool critter! Do you have more images of him?

Sven
If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you're not out there, you'll only hear about it. - Jay Maisel

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Sven asked:
Wow, what a cool critter! Do you have more images of him?
No, sorry Sven. :( I only took this one but they are quite common in our forests here in North Carolina. Thanks! :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

Sven Bernert

Post by Sven Bernert »

:) Ken wrote: [...] but they are quite common in our forests here in North Carolina. :D
Hehe Ken, if you got the time: how about a little series then? I'd really love to see more of them.
If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you're not out there, you'll only hear about it. - Jay Maisel

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Sven asked:

Hehe Ken, if you got the time: how about a little series then? I'd really love to see more of them.

Sure thing Sven. :D I am always prowling these mountains in search of strange stuff for my microscopes and such. I do see them quite often when I am up there but now that someone wants to see a little more of them, they will probably all go and hide. :lol: I will see what I can do. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

You could put together a 'Pede Portfolio of shots with macro lens from different aspects, distances, andmagnifciations, and closeups of interesting stuff with the microscope also.
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Mike said:
You could put together a 'Pede Portfolio of shots with macro lens from different aspects, distances, andmagnifciations, and closeups of interesting stuff with the microscope also.
That is a thought Mike, since I don't have one of those MP E whatever they are, the Meiji would work fine for that. :wink: I am heading to the mountains in about an hour or so. I was thinking of going to the Asheville Aroboretum but being memorial day weekend, I probably could not get a parking place there, it's beautiful, especially the bonsi gardens. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

A really neat critter. This is a great find Ken. You sure are building up your equipment inventory :lol:
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Sue replied:
You sure are building up your equipment inventory :lol:
And depleteing my bank account too! :lol: Believe me, I reasoned with myself for about 20 min. whether or not I really need that lens, since I was a long way from being proficent with the one I already had. But I figured I'd best get it while I could. :wink:

Thanks Sue. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy