A fly drinking water

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Beetleman

A fly drinking water

Post by Beetleman »

A fly taking a drink from a small drop of water. Hand held, on the ground, Everything set to auto. I need some down time from my crazy life so I can learn to use the manual settings.

Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda
Canon PowerShot S1 IS with Canon 250D closeup lens

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Auto-everything seems to have worked fine on this shot.

You got the mouthparts in focus, and there's enough detail to be really interesting. In this view, they look a lot like a spiral bottlebrush. I don't remember seeing other pictures showing a spiral structure or posture. All of the standard SEM shots I know (like here) show an essentially linear tongue covered with hairs.

Nice image -- thanks for posting! And good luck with your crazy life...

--Rik

Beetleman

Post by Beetleman »

Maybe the spiral structures are the pseudotracheae running up the sides of the proboscis. They almost look like veins. I found it interesting that the fly was just drinking the water and not something gross that flies usually dine on. I love that scientific name, never noticed that :? Calliphora vomitoria :oops: Reminds me of Jeff Goldblum in "THE FLY" when he vomited on the donuts befor he ate them. Thanks for the comments on the shot and you always supply the coolest links (which are filling "my Favorites" folder. Now that I am hooked on this forum, I just have to go out every day and try and get a shot I can post. Thank you Rik.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda
Canon PowerShot S1 IS with Canon 250D closeup lens

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Beetleman wrote:....you always supply the coolest links... Thank you Rik.
Glad you like 'em! :D

Google and the authors of the links do the hard part -- I just pass along the ones that I find most interesting. :wink: :D

--Rik