Another (hairy!) fly

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

Another (hairy!) fly

Post by Charles Krebs »

A couple more fly shots. I've been playing around with some different lighting... trying something less diffuse and with higher contrast. But so far I still like the "look" provided by the more diffused lighting as was used for these two pictures.

Top image from stack of 35 images, Helicon Focus. 2.5X objective, 1.67X NFK photoeyepiece. Canon 350D

Lower image from stack of 51 images, Helicon Focus. 5X objective, 1.67X NFK photoeyepiece. Canon 350D

Sven Bernert

Post by Sven Bernert »

Charles, you are showing some unbelievable images here! Sharpness and clarity at this magnification makes your work outstanding. I am stunned and tip my hat off to you!

Best,
Sven

P.S.: It is not that often that I stumble into the micro section (since I’m not that much interested in microscopy), therefore didn’t expect to see images like that.

Very cool hehe :)
If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you're not out there, you'll only hear about it. - Jay Maisel

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hello Charlie,

It seems you have an endless supply of 'victims'! Great shots and we are all waiting for that book - I'd be willing to send in advance payment!

Do you get your bugs nice and clean or do you put them through a cleaning process?

All the best,
Mike

p.s. - I hope to have my system up and running in the next few days using the Nikon D200. Wish me luck.
"Nil satis nisi optimum"

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

Sven Bernert wrote:P.S.: It is not that often that I stumble into the micro section (since I’m not that much interested in microscopy), therefore didn’t expect to see images like that.
Then you'd be missing out on my mineral photos too Sven :)

Nice images Charles. I'd be interested in hearing about the cleanliness too. Everytime I put a dead fly under my scope, it's full of dust, dirt, stuff, etc.
Regards
Steve

Look at everything everyday. No, really. Look at EVERYTHING EVERYDAY.
The Real Meaning of Life!

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Thanks all! Actually the flies I have collected to be my vict.... uhhh, I mean subjects :wink: have been remarkably clean. I catch them live in a clean container. After they are mounted and ready to photograph a few light "puffs" from some canned air takes care of most problems. If there are any fine pieces of debris present I use a very fine needle to remove it. If there is something small that is difficult to remove I will leave it rather than damage the specimen. This can be touched up in Photoshop. Beetles can be a different matter. I have photographed some collected specimens that were really a mess when looked at up close through a microscope. Sometimes a "bath" under warm water with gentle brushing from a small artist paintbrush will clean it up nicely.

piotr

Post by piotr »

Remarkable pictures! Very "Charlie-esque" feel! Excellent details and very pleasant color tones, as usual. :-)

I can see you have got the 1.67x eyepiece, at last! Can you photograph the entire field of view now?
Piotr

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Piotr... these are the first two shots using it, and yes, it really seems to be the right "strength" if you want to record the view through 10X eyepieces. My eyepieces show me a FN of 20, and with the 1.67 NFK and Rebel 350D I record a field of 16... so it's nice in that respect.

But there's always something... I don't think my Zeiss Plan 2.5X is "up to it" when I record this larger field. The edges of the frame are not that great. The Olympus S Plan FL 2X is much better but the working distance is shorter than I like.

The reason I really made an effort to locate the 1.67X was that the Olympus DIC setup adds another 1.25X magnification. This made it a bit too "tight" with the Rebel and the 2.5X as I was recording a field size of about 8.6. I think it will be very useful once I get that stand back.