Small Gray fly

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Beetleman

Small Gray fly

Post by Beetleman »

This was on my deck this morning, so I got real low and personal with him. The family thought I had a heart attack because I was laying down on the deck :wink:

Here is a top view

Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda
Canon PowerShot S1 IS with Canon 250D closeup lens

Sven Bernert

Post by Sven Bernert »

Hi Doug,

even if it is tempting to get a quick image, I always try to avoid images like the second one. Reason: the internet is full of images showing all sorts of insects, ducks, squirrels from above ;-) The first one is sooooo much better (perspective wise) because it shows more of the insects “personality”, so kudos on the first.

The above is all IMO hehe :)

Best,
Sven
If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you're not out there, you'll only hear about it. - Jay Maisel

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know Sven is right. I am guilty of shooting above a subject myself. Although I do at times I do try to get eye level with my subjects. It does make for a much more interesting photograph. Howeve sometimes you have no choice, like when shooting in poison ivy, briars, cow pastures and such. :lol: Great images though, like Sven I like the first one. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Beetleman

Post by Beetleman »

I know you guys are 100% right. Me being a Noob at macro, I am very very very excited by the way the first shot came out. I actually owe you people the credit for how it came out. I took the other shot because the wings are beautiful and I did not think I would be able to get an ID on the subject by the first perspective So, the first shot is the artist in me and the second shot is for the scientist in me. :D
Doug Breda

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

Ken Ramos wrote:Howeve sometimes you have no choice, like when shooting in poison ivy, briars, cow pastures and such.
...or when you are shooting through the microscope :lol:

Great shot Doug. I'd love to know how these guys stay still for long enough to take such photos. Cool morning maybe?
Regards
Steve

Look at everything everyday. No, really. Look at EVERYTHING EVERYDAY.
The Real Meaning of Life!

Beetleman

Post by Beetleman »

It was a cool & damp morning here. Raining and around 52*F. Thank you all for your comments. Crocoite, I saw a show on the nature Channel and they showed a town called Hobart. I want to see some Pictures of those giant ants & the "Jack Jumpers" :lol:
Doug Breda

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

Beetleman wrote:Crocoite, I saw a show on the nature Channel and they showed a town called Hobart. I want to see some Pictures of those giant ants & the "Jack Jumpers" :lol:
Hi Doug

The "giant ants" are known as inchmen or bullants. They are (funnily enough) about an inch long. The jack jumpers are nasty pieces of work. Very aggressive and many people are allergic to their bites. In the bush, you usually don't know about them until you've just stood in the middle of one of their nests! :o I'm not sure how close I want to get to either of them to photograph them. Maybe if I find a dead one :wink:

By the way, Hobart is the capital of Tasmania and is where I work (I live out a bit though - in the bush - where there are lots of [arrrggghhh] ants).
Regards
Steve

Look at everything everyday. No, really. Look at EVERYTHING EVERYDAY.
The Real Meaning of Life!

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi y'all, :D
even if it is tempting to get a quick image, I always try to avoid images like the second one. Reason: the internet is full of images showing all sorts of insects, ducks, squirrels from above.
For the most part, I agree with Sven. However, I still think there is a place for the overhead view. I may start photographing an insect from overhead then start working my compositions around to more *autistic*...er, I mean...*artistic* views. :D I will use the overhead images for specimen records. You will find some of my images posted at BugGuide.Net where they're used to help identify insects. Once I start pushing that shutter release, it's hard to get me stopped :!: :shock: :D

Best regards, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!