Darth Helmet Beetle

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Beetleman

Darth Helmet Beetle

Post by Beetleman »

This beetle reminds me of Darth Helmet in the StarWars spoof movie “Space Balls” Not sure if it is a black Ladybird or some kind of Leaf Beetle. I also tried to do the "law of thirds" composition on this shot because he was being a very good beetle and not moving around much.

Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda
Canon PowerShot S1 IS with Canon 250D closeup lens

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

Took me a minute to see the head of this beetle. Initially, I thought the head was at the top of the picture (as if a profile shot) and not a head on...probably reminiscing about the Spaceball days. I had a big 'doh' moment when I finally found the orientation.

I too try the Law of thirds and mentioned it in another post, but I am not sold on it yet...especially on such a blank background.

Ken Nelson
Reworks and Reposts Welcomed

Beetleman

Post by Beetleman »

Hi Ken, your post from the other day is why I decided to give it a try and to try and keep it in my head before I take shots. I did some googling like you for the law and the pictures they showed were very nice with the subject off to one side but it seemed there was other stuff filling the other 2/3rds of the frame....really nothing there in this beetle shot. I don`t think he would have looked too bad in the center IMO. I could put a caption on the left side "my name is Darth Helmet, I can kill you with my mind" :lol:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda
Canon PowerShot S1 IS with Canon 250D closeup lens

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

Use the Shwartz!
Carl B. Constantine
http://photo-op.ca/

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Nice shot Doug, I don't recall as ever having seen a black ladybug before. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.